Burning Photos to Disc

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by WildCowboy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

OK, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this sort of thing, so please bear with me.

We got our wedding photos back from the photographer...just under 1000 jpegs on several DVDs. I've imported all of them into iPhoto and would like to do a couple of things with them:

1. Burn them to DVD so that our parents can view them on their TVs. I gave it a quick try by dragging the jpegs to a burn folder and burning the disc from Finder. (I avoided burning directly from iPhoto because it adds thumbnails and bloats the sizes to the point where they don't all fit on one DVD.) These discs don't work in their DVD players...I kind of guessed that they wouldn't, but I thought I'd give it a stab. Ideally I'd like to have the filenames visible in some reasonable way such that the parents can easily identify which ones they want to have printed.

2. Burn them to disc in a format that a photo developer will be able to read and print.

So how do I do this? I'm currently exporting from iPhoto to iDVD, which gives the neat keepsake slideshow stuff with fancy menus and such (and I assume it won't all fit on one DVD), but somehow I think that's not the most practical way.

2. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

For viewing on the TV you've got the right idea. But you could make a nice slideshow out of them in iPhoto and use iDVD to burn that. I like making a nicer slideshow with iMovie and then making a DVD out of that in iDVD.

as far as making something that will work to have printed, the format they are in will work fine. Just have your parents tell you which ones they want and burn those jpegs to a disk, then they can take it where they want and have it printed. You don't need to do anything more than that as far as creating a printable disk is concerned.

SLC

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

SLC pretty much covered it. To burn disks of the actual files, just drag and drop them to a burn folder. A JPEG is JPEG.

In terms of the video slideshow, I would use iDVD directly. Just go in and you can make a slideshow that will play to music, or one where your parents can manually advance each picture.

4. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, I'm going the iDVD route now...thanks for the advice.

As I mentioned, I originally gave my parents the jpegs burned through Finder. They contacted a couple of photo places, and neither one knew what to do with what I had given them. I'm thinking it was probably a lack of proper explanation by my parents that resulted in confusion. Hence my question, which was really asking if a DVD of jpegs should be readable by a photo place. Didn't know if their machines required a Photo CD format or similar.

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I think one of the problems is that when you dump files onto a CD/DVD/HD from a Mac, and then try to read them with a PC you get a bunch of header files that have the same name, but are only important to OS X. If the photo place where your parents went looked at those, they probably couldn't open them. To get around this issue I've started burning most everything with Toast, making sure to use the Mac & PC option. That way both systems see the same thing.

6. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

Slideshow

After struggling for two days with iDVD, I finally got smart and read this forum. Thanks for the tips everyone. I created my slideshow in iPhoto first and it looks great. I then tried to create a DVD that would work on TV using iDVD as suggested. However, I can't seem to get it right. I get my slideshow with music, etc., but can't get rid of the iDVD template. I shows up at the end for some reason. Can anyone tell me how to simply make a usable DVD for TV using iDVD without their templates? Thanks guys.

7. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

Please Help

I posted on this subject yesterday, but haven't received a response and I'm trying to get a DVD produced by tomorrow (Father' Day). I used your suggestion and created my slideshow on iPhoto. Great results!!! However, when I try to make a DVD via iDVD I can't figure out how to do it without using one of the program's templates. I just want a plain-jane, nothing fancy show without all the bells and whistles. Is that possible?