Burning QuickTime incompatible DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by X5-452, Jun 19, 2007.

1. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

If I were to download a file from the internet, and QuickTime is unable to play it, but VLC is, would I still be able to burn it to DVD and expect full playback on a DVD player? I'm hesitant to use iDVD to burn it since it's so closely tied into QuickTime and it's codec's, but what if I were to use Burn? I don't want to go to the trouble of burning something and then have it crap out on me.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well if you wanted to use iDVD then it would need to be in a format it supported as a DVD that plays in a DVD player is actually converted into MPEG-2 video. So it would need to support converting from your video format to MPEG-2. I'd recommend Toast as it seems to support a lot of video formats.

3. X5-452 thread starter macrumors 6502

X5-452

Since iDVD is so closely tied to QuickTime then it's doubtful it would support burning these DVD's the proper way. The problem with all of them is lack of sound in QuickTime. VLC handles them fine. When using an application like Burn would it encode everything including audio?

4. pengu macrumors 6502a

what sort of file is it? what are the audio & video codecs?

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you download Perian and a few other codecs listed on its website, you'll probably make your files QuickTime compatible so that you can use iDVD.