Burning SD after HD editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chachi1000, Jun 15, 2008.

1. chachi1000 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    Ok, been doing a tonne of research, just bought the sony hdr sr-10, and then found out it can be a bit of a pain hooking into imovie when I got on this forum....however, when I plugged 'er in with a few HD recorded clips, it was no problem going into imovie for editing (yay)....anyhoo, my question is related to HD and SD formats, and what happens when i want to burn onto a regular dvd - I have learned from other posts that I should record in HD and edit in HD regardless of the fact that I don't have HDTV or blu-ray....
    Soooo.... once this is all done, how do I convert to SD in imovie? Other threads have said it's easy, but I can't figure it out - is it just as simple as exporting to a lower resolution? Or will IDVD automatically figure it out and drop it down to SD? Or maybe I can't do this at all in imovie and have to burn short hd dvds (lame) or only watch on my mac?

Any help would be great, as I have to decide whether to keep the camera or return it and get a straight up SD or other format, as there is no reason for me to have this if I can't burn onto a regular dvd (20 min of HD doesn't cut it I don't think)...

Thanks a lot,
    C

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

You don't really have to worry about it, iDVD will convert the video for you automatically.

3. chachi1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, sweet that sounds easy.

Are there any reasons why I should not keep this cam? it seems to be working out just fine with imovie...

4. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Wait, I thought hard drive HD camcorders couldn't directly import to iMovie without first converting the AVCHD format? Did I miss something? I love the size over the larger tape models.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

As long as iMovie supports your camera, it should automatically convert the footage to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) for editing.

6. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Where do you find this info? I didn't see it on the Apple site.

chachi1000 -- sorry to get off topic.