Burning smell from iMac

eAi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
My iMac, one of the swivvelly ones has just started making a burning smell, I'm a bit worried, does anyone know what might cause this? Running OSX 10.2 if that matters.

Thanks,

eAi

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
There's a great line in one Simpsons episode where Homer is trying to get credit on an enormous RV and a police car style red flashing light and alarm sound from the computer during the credit check and on noting the alarms Homer asks whether they're a good thing and the salesman in a great southern accent says "Mr Simpson an alarm is never a good thing."

Burning smells from any electrical equipment short of an arc-welder are never a good thing.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This happened to my Windows PC. In that case, the cause was a blown power supply. I suspect your iMac's main power may have failed.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Maybe it's just some ants that found their way to a nice, happy warm spot.

Serious, don't turn it on again until you know what it is. Open it yourself or let a tech do it for you.
I hope you have guarantee or applecare.

Good luck

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
redeye_be said:
Maybe it's just some ants that found their way to a nice, happy warm spot.

Serious, don't turn it on again until you know what it is. Open it yourself or let a tech do it for you.
I hope you have guarantee or applecare.

Good luck
NOT ANTS! :eek: :p

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
If you have another Mac, start the iMac up in FireWire Target Disk mode (hold T on startup) and grab everything important as fast as you can off of it. Then shut the iMac down again.

Call AppleCare, too...

eAi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Just want to clarify. Its not a burning smell, its a kinda plastic-too-hot smell (a bit like disinfectant). I took it appart about half way and cleaned out all the dust which appears to have helped (there was tonnes of it, I was wondering where it had all got to!). Everything is backed up, so I'll wait and see...

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
eAi said:
Just want to clarify. Its not a burning smell, its a kinda plastic-too-hot smell (a bit like disinfectant). I took it appart about half way and cleaned out all the dust which appears to have helped (there was tonnes of it, I was wondering where it had all got to!). Everything is backed up, so I'll wait and see...
Be sure to backup. ;)

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
If you suspect any issue with your power supply, do not hesitate to call Apple to get it replaced. After talking to my friend, which is an apple technician at a local COMPUSA, he said that nearly every iMac repair he gets it a blown power supply NOT fan issues. He said that on all of them, the power supply damages everything around it, and makes quite a mess. He also stated, that when it's really bad, which he's had quite a few, the HD, Midplane Assembly, and casing all had to be replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.