Burning Tiger to a DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smoothiemaker, Feb 12, 2009.

1. smoothiemaker macrumors newbie

My friend has had his Macbook for 2 years. It recently died on him, and I told him I could try and help figure out the problem with it, but I am having no luck.

The problem with the computer: on boot up, it takes forever at the gray Apple screen. When it finally gets to the progress bar, it sits there and nothing happens.

So I am not sure what the problem is.. possibly a hard drive failure? You all would probably know better than me.

Anyways, if that isn't it, I have a disc image of Tiger that I am trying to burn to a DVD to possibly reinstall the OS on the computer if possible. I tried putting Leopard on it, but it says it wouldn't go on. I tried twice- once with Disk Utility, once with Toast.

Any ideas here? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

we dont help with piracy

how i know its piracy? well since you have a disc image, that means you also should have the os disc...unless you pirated it

use his restore discs or a retail disc

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode yet by holding Shift?

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Holding down Shift doesn't boot into Safe Mode. Command+S on startup boots into safe mode. To the OP: he should have restore disks that came with his MB. Use those, as that's what they're for.

5. smoothiemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Have not tried that yet I don't believe. I did try startup disc mode and booting from the disc, but nothing. I'll try that though, thanks!

I know he was supposed to have restore discs that came with it, but he no longer has them he said. That was his entire reasoning in asking with my help in the first place- because he didn't have them and didn't know anyone else with them. All of my Mac friends all bought theirs with Leopard pre-installed, and my friend's computer will not accept Leopard to install, as stated before.

So if he had restore discs, it would be no big deal. Alas, he does not and I know of no one in my vicinity with any. So getting this disc image and trying to burn it to a DVD is sort of a last resort in a way.. and as far as the term "piracy" goes, I don't see how much of stealing it is, since his Mac was legally purchased. I see the discrepancies, but I do not think that it would be the same case of me trying to burn Tiger to a disc and me trying to burn Snow Leopard to a disc.

Aside from all this-- does anyone think it could be a hard drive failure?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

He can call Apple and get them replaced for a small fee.

Could be ... but, you'll need the discs to really find out.

7. smoothiemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Will they still replace them if the computer is 2 years old and he does not have Applecare?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They should, but it's something like $35 for the physical media and shipping.

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Wrong.

You're confusing Safe Mode with Single-User Mode.