Burning to BluRay from '11 3.04 i7 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tulipone, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Tulipone macrumors 6502

Thinking of getting an external BluRay burner to archive photographs rather than leaving on the iMac and NAS. Wondering if anyone has had much success with this sort of thing, what kit they used etc. Do you need additional software just for burning data?

Thanks.

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

If you are simply backing up files then you do not need any other software.

I have an LG BE14NU40 external and i can use this to burn with across any of our laptops or desktops without installing any 3rd party software just like it is a superdrive.

Now, watching BluRay movies you will need a 3rd party software such as MacBluRayPlayer. I also use Toast Titanium on my main desktop just for the more features it brings. You can read about them Here.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

TB+ drives are pretty inexpensive now days, less than $60. Thats what I use to archive both photos and video. If the archives are important, I think you'll want to archive originals and a copy on separate drives or media.

4. Tulipone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for your replies.

I now have a BD writer on its way and look forward to using it.

I do already have an external USB AND and a time machine that do backups, I just decided that backing up onto optical media for storage elsewhere would be prudent.

With the advent of CryptoLocker and similar malware becoming more prevalent and more successful, it sounds like a really good idea to have offline storage also. With all backups, they are only good if they work so a number of options - especially as BD media is now so cheap - sounds like a great idea.