burning to pal formatted disk mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by toefungus, Jul 21, 2007.

1. toefungus macrumors newbie

I have a movie that I made. I want to sell it to europeans. how do i make pal formatted dvd's with mac?
    After some editing in final cut express, i did some final touches in imovie and then exported to idvd... The main problem that i think i want to find out, is why idvd always says that I am burning a pal movie to an ntsc formatted disc. This was after some attempt on my end to create pal dvds to avoid buyers who havent deregionized their dvd players back in england... anyone know anything about this?

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

In the UK most DVD players & TV will play NTSC Disks. so you dont need to convert the disk.

3. toefungus thread starter macrumors newbie

Pal, NTSC... any others?

That's great about the UK but are there other formats that I have to worry about when selling to europeans? I heard france is Secam or something. I want to be able to have them play in Holland and Germany.... France if possible. Thanks for your help

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

DVD isn't the same as VHS; the discs are all the same, it's just the encoding that is different. There are applications that allow you to convert PAL->NTSC and vice versa; I can't remember any off-hand, but some googling around should result in an app or two (essentially anything that changes frame-rate will do it; however, if it is specifically encoded NTSC or PAL, not just at the line resolutions/frame rates of each, you're going to need an app designed to handle that, or an app that lets you break into the actual code of the video file and reassign specific values--check the forums at videohelp.com and places like that for help and tutorials). Good luck, I used to buy PAL region2 dvds and convert them with an old Linux box, so I know it can be done...

EDIT: Also, I haven't tried this, but what about FFMpegX? Maybe you can adjust the framerate with it and use QTSync to adjust the audio?

5. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy