Burning TV show using iDVD is taking ages

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Changepoint, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Changepoint macrumors member

Changepoint

I downloaded an episode of the office last night captured off a 720p hd broadcast and wanted to burn it to dvd to take to a friends house. i opened a new idvd project and dropped the m4v file (converted from mkv in handbrake) into the map in front of the menu box and hit burn. it's now 10 hours later and it's still encoding the 'asset'.

my main question is why is it so slow? secondly, does idvd convert the file to DV first before turning it into a dvd file?

update, my macbook 2.4 GHz just froze so i've had to restart it. I have dvd studio 3, would that be able to handle this process?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Why did you convert it to MPEG-4? Converting to MPEG-4 only means that it will have to be re-encoded as a standard definition MPEG-2 video multiplexed with MPEG-1, Layer II audio in order to comply with the DVD specification. No wonder its taking so long.

No.

Same problem there if you plan to bring in an MPEG-4 file.

-DH

3. Changepoint thread starter macrumors member

Changepoint

4. -DH macrumors 65816

No one suggested using the .mkv file in iDVD. I just questioned why you'd convert to MPEG-4. Don't use Handbrake for this kind of task. Handbrake is designed to convert to delivery formats for playback devices like iPods, cell phones, etc. It is NOT designed to convert for editing or for DVD delivery.

Use MPEG Streamclip to convert the /mkv file to a QuickTime Movie (.DV codec) then use the resulting file in iDVD. Note that DVD-Video is a standard definition format so the 720p HD video will have to be reduced.

-DH