"Burning" Windows 7 iso to External Hardrive Partition Possible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SilversunStreak, Jan 3, 2010.

1. SilversunStreak macrumors member

SilversunStreak

Hey Macrumors perusers,

I was wondering if it's possible to "burn" a Windows 7 iso to a partition on an external hardrive. The reason I was interested in doing this is to boot from the partition and install Windows 7. I already have installed Windows 7 through bootcamp from a DVD, but it's been having issues and I'd like to clean install the final RC retail copy. I know I could burn it to a DVD and boot from that, but I'm an extremely strapped college student studying abroad and anywhere I can save money, ie not buying DVD-Rs, I'd like to.

It seems so plausible, but it's looking like more trouble than it's worth. I've googled the subject a bunch of times with no luck or came across something I couldn't grasp, and I'm pretty techno-savy.

Any help or a solution would be amazing.:cool:

And for those trolling "Why would you install windows blah blah blah." I use Windows 7 for videogaming and use :apple: for school work and such.

- Sam

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You sure can. Same steps as creating an install from a usb flash drive. Google it.

3. SilversunStreak thread starter macrumors member

SilversunStreak

I have, I can't get the partition/drive to show up on startup when I hold the Option Key. I've made the partition Active and FAT-32. I've also tried editing the bios upon startup in Windows 7. Only the system installed on the internal hd appears.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which Mac?

Seems like some of them don't want to boot from external USB devices.

B

5. SilversunStreak thread starter macrumors member

SilversunStreak

I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz (Old case). Frustrating if that's the case.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you happen to have a FireWire drive you could try? As I recall that seems more robust.

B

7. SilversunStreak thread starter macrumors member

SilversunStreak

Unfortunately no. I just have a LACIE 500Gb USB drive.

8. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Do you have a USB stick? You can make it bootable and install Windows 7 from there. That's the case on PC's anyway. And I'm not talking about this software tool that Microsoft has come out with. You don't need that.

I haven't been using optical drives for a long time. I always swap out whatever optical drive there may be in my Thinkpads over the years for a second hard drive. ;)

9. SilversunStreak thread starter macrumors member

SilversunStreak

I just have the 500 GB USB HD that should work. I have a USB stick somewhere, but it's only 128 MB.:(

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you can get it to boot from the 128 MB you might still be able to make it work. You'll need to load a boot loader like GRUB/LILO/rEFIt onto it and have that help you load up the HDD.

I used to do something like that to boot Linux back in the day...

B