Burnout Paradise is getting a "Restart Race" option!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Now this can be called one of the best new racing games. Tons of great DLC, and a restart button!

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I really think it's a fantastic game. So much to do and to explore, with all the jumps, billboards, short cuts and everything.

It took me almost a year to really get into it, cause I didn't like the open world format at first, especially without the "restart" option. So I barely touched it for the longest time. But once I really gave it a chance (a few weeks ago :D ), I enjoyed the hell out of it. So many game modes, so many trophies, so many things to discover, and such smooth integration of online play... One of the best games of 2008 I would say. Can't wait for the "Big Surf Island" DLC to become available!

4. MRU Suspended

MRU

I may give it 'another' chance when that update finally hits. Couldn't get into it at all last-time. I don't really think the game needed to be open world, and instead of opening the game up (it was already one of the most accessible driving arcade games) it actually forced limits onto the game and for me it just did not suit. Sandbox games have their own inherent flaws.

I'll be happy if they brought back a burnout, with tracks and drop the sandbox idea.

5. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

^

That is exactly why I had such a hard time with it at first. But once you manage to "forget" the previous parts and view it as a game on its own, it really turns out to be a lot of fun. Hunting down the yellow gates, the billboards, and the jumps is is something I enjoyed thoroughly, so the open world has its merits, too.

What I still don't like is the "Showtime" stuff. It's just dumb, and a very crappy "replacement" for the old "Crash Mode" from Burnout 3 (never played Revenge...).

6. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Picked it up for $20 at Fry's yesterday in case someone still hasn't bought a copy. Normally PS3 Greatest hits are $30.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Finally. This was one huge flaw that stopped me from enjoying the game more — maybe I'll try to actually finish it now. I also wish they'd let you jump straight to a junkyard so it's not a hassle everytime you unlock a new car you want to try, but at least we get this.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Hey, at least there isn't just one junkyard. :\

9. MRU Suspended

MRU

Well I'm finally enjoying the game.

The updates are massive and seemingly took forever to update, but the new stuff is excellent and really sorts out my gripes with the game.

I always found the PS3 version to suffer a little shimmer from a lack of AA, however since updating I have noticed the PS3 version now has anti-aliasing making the game look a lot better.

It now also supports 1080p whether upscaled or native I'm unsure, but it looks nice anyway.

And the restart option is a life saver finally...... Even though it took me ages to find the bloody thing hidden away there in the d-pad menu. For ages I was pressing select/start and trying to locate the option.. Doh!

But yeah, I'm finally enjoying this and thank you criterion and EA for addressing the issues finally :)

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ya, my PS3 screwed up and a ton of stuff got corrupt. I just redownloaded 4 patches so I could get the game to work again. Took a few hours, and my internet isn't that slow.

11. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Is that where they put it? What an odd thing to do... :confused:

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

no, you press right on the dpad to bring up Easy Drive, then right again for restart, then X to confirm. It takes about 2 seconds. But yeah.., they should probably explain it, I knew because they mentioned it on a podcast.

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ohh.... I couldn't find it either.

14. MRU Suspended

MRU

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

As soon as I get tired of playing Pure I'll have to pick this up.