Burnt MagSafe Connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Waad, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Waad macrumors newbie

Imma try keep this short..
    I recently noticed that a little piece in my Magsafe connector is burnt, it charges completely normal except it gets overly heated when pluged in.
    What should I do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KFantomas macrumors member

KFantomas

I think you should try cleaning the MagSafe port on your MacBook (no liquid !)
    And buy a new MagSafe soon as possible.
    It could because dangerous for you and your MacBook to keep using it. Even if it charge normaly.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

1. Get a new adapter. The edges on yours looks like it's been chewed by something. Given that it's metal in that area, I would conclude that it was something with significant strength.

2. Clean the port with some alcohol swabs.

DC-in board (the part with the MagSafe port) is one of the cheapest components to buy for parts. If you're so inclined, you could DIY its replacement.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Replace your adapter to prevent any damage to the MacBook. I would not use the existing adapter any further.

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

If you MacBook is under AppleCare, call them! They will replace the charger free of charge if you return your old one, you can either send it in or bring it to a store. If you are bringing it to a store, I recommend taking your Mac along to show Apple what happened on the MagSafe port, as they may replace it. However, I would definitely clean the port with a q-tip, and isopropyl alcohol (preferably over 90%, but 70% should work fine). Good luck!

6. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I'm a big magsafe fan and those photos just horrify me. Take both adapter and computer to an Apple store if you can, and I hope you get a tech who checks things out properly.