Burnt USB Port?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stone315, Dec 14, 2008.

1. stone315 macrumors regular

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else had encountered a problem with a USB port becoming physically burnt. I was watching a movie last night on my Macbook off an external hard drive, and today when I looked at the Macbook the port was physically burnt. The inside of it was black and the white plastic around it had become brown in places. For the past two months the drive has been hooked up to a time capsule, and I checked the USB port on that and it's fine, so it's not a problem with the drive. I'm taking it down to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with this. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and it's the version of the white Macbook that came out just before the aluminum Macbooks.

2. youssefm macrumors 6502

that's weird, i guess it was too much power and it over heated the port.. watching movies in an intensive task so the extra power=extra heat.. i guess taking it to the apple store is the best idea

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea that would probably get you a replacement, sounds like faulty hardware.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Never heard of this before... Sounds pretty crazy. Can you post a pic? I believe you, I just wanna see what it looks like ;)
    Do tell us what the Apple store will do for you..

5. stone315 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but I've watched at least 7 movies off of it while it was plugged into the time capsule and like I said, the capsule's port is fine.

I tried taking a pic but it came out blurry. I'll give it another shot and post it later. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens when I visit the store.

6. youssefm macrumors 6502

maybe the heat concentrates onto one part, which is your usb port

7. stone315 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm in the Apple Store as we speak, taking advantage of my time with the new Macbooks (I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity and they're AMAZING :D), and I'm getting a new logic board free of charge. No hassle, the guy just asked what happened and he said they'll just replace the board for me. I love Apple.