Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Anyone else?

Burst mode for pre-5s devices was discussed quite a bit when iOS 7 came out.

On devices like the 5, iOS 7 allowed them to take multiple shots by holding the shutter button, but not at the rate of 10/s - more like 2-3/s.

It was noted how you can actually take faster shots by tapping the button faster yourself - still not quite at 10/s though (unless you have super fast reflexes maybe).

But in both cases it is not the true "Burst Mode" that Apple advertised for the 5s. Not only is it slower, but you don't get a count as you take them, they are not grouped in Photos, you don't get to pick the best one of the lot etc. They are just individual photos.

For me, on my 5, none of the above has changed with iOS 8.0.2. Sorry!

edit: third party camera apps do have access to more APIs though, so may be able to introduce their own burst mode, you're right.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Burst mode for pre-5s devices was discussed quite a bit when iOS 7 came out.

On devices like the 5, iOS 7 allowed them to take multiple shots by holding the shutter button, but not at the rate of 10/s - more like 2-3/s.

It was noted how you can actually take faster shots by tapping the button faster yourself - still not quite at 10/s though (unless you have super fast reflexes maybe).

But in both cases it is not the true "Burst Mode" that Apple advertised for the 5s. Not only is it slower, but you don't get a count as you take them, they are not grouped in Photos, you don't get to pick the best one of the lot etc. They are just individual photos.

For me, on my 5, none of the above has changed with iOS 8.0.2. Sorry!

edit: third party camera apps do have access to more APIs though, so may be able to introduce their own burst mode, you're right.

Ahh that's a bummer. But thank you for the clarification!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.