Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My Dad has an older Apple USB Black keyboard, not the new pro ones. Well we have a keybaord tray and it falls every-now-and-then and when it falls the mouse is always in teh right USB port. This happened once with so much force that the mouse was jammed in teh port. We yanked the mouse out and was abkle to save it, but the rigth USB port is now unuseable. It is damaged beyond repair, the left USB port works when it wants to. I noticed that the keyboard has been BURT internaly!!! But that was because the right USB port's little connecters was touching teh outer metal case I guess. I have pictures on this page, it was easy to create with iPhoto. See: http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/PhotoAlbum16.html This happen to anyone else? Any similar problems? It won't hurt the mac will it? I meen it works...except for the ports...And it only works when plugged in directly to the mac, the Apple Studio Display 20'' (CTR) monitors USB hub doesn't work with it, yet the hub works for everything else. Wierd huh?

LINK AGAIN: http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/PhotoAlbum16.html

EDIT: Sorry for the spelling error before, hee hee, the "R" key on my MiniTower must be broken

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
by looking at the pictures i think you mean burnt, this is a weird problem that ive never seen. even tho i'm a terrible typer, sometimes its good to take your time just so the ppl here get what your saying, because I was wondering what a burt keyboard was until I saw the pics....

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I would suggest getting a new keyboard, just in case. Because worst-case scenario you could fry the USB port on your computer, and that would take a new logic board to fix. So a $60 apple keyboard (less if you buy a 3rd party keyboard) is much less expensive than a new logic board.
If you continue to use that keyboard, You are gambling with your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.