Bus or AC powered Time Machine drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sh00t4par, Apr 30, 2010.

1. sh00t4par macrumors newbie

I am looking at some OWC external drives to use with time machine on my new iMac. Is it better to go with a bus powered drive or one that has it's own power supply? I like the idea of only having one cable back there to keep with the clean look of the iMac but will go with an AC adapter if need be. Also I have a 1 TB hdd and only using a fraction of it right now. Do I need to go with a 1 TB ext hdd or can I save money with something smaller? Thanks.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

It boils down to what you want. I don't see an advantage of one over the other.

As for space, it depends on how much you are backing up. I'd go with how much seems affordable.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Although it is recommended that you should have a drive that is larger than your total drive size to allow multiple backups to be done while keeping more of the 'past' versions of your data intact.

You might not believe it, but you will fill up that drive a lot sooner that you think.

Honestly, with 1TB drives coming in at around or under $100, it's not that much of an expense.

I would go for the AC-powered, but that only because those are the ones I am familiar with. :D Are there many bus-powered ones? Are they reliable?

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

5. lunari macrumors member

lunari

Just putting in a recommendation for that Fantom Drives 1TB external, I've had one for a few months now, it's great! I have it formatted 500GB for extra storage, then the other 500GB for a time machine drive :)