Bus powered ext drive off of a powered firewire drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mund, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mund macrumors member

I have a question guys.. I have a Late 2009 iMac that has had a LaCie D2 Quadra 2TB plugged into it since day one for Time Machine (Firewire 800).

My question is, can I safely and effectively run a Bus powered drive directly and permanently plugged into the back of the LaCie's spare FW800 port?_______ Just leaving it attached with hopes of no issues!

The drive I picked up is an inexpensive G-Drive 1TB Firewire 800 / USB 2.0 for the purpose of running CCC Bootable Clone BackUps.

Same, similar type question with my MBP Early 2011 but the same drive (got 2) would be plugged directly into the Firewire 800 and remain there 100% of the time for CCC clone. Is it OK to leave plugged in 100% continuously?_______
    I do run a separate Thunderbolt drive for Time Machine on the MBP

Thank You...

2. Fishrrman, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

Fishrrman macrumors G3

"can I safely and effectively run a Bus powered drive directly and permanently plugged into the back of the LaCie's spare FW800 port?"

It might work, it might not. If there's not enough bus power available, the drive probably won't spin up and mount. Perhaps the only way to know is to try and see.

"would be plugged directly into the Firewire 800 and remain there 100% of the time for CCC clone. Is it OK to leave plugged in 100% continuously?"

It seems to me a MacBook is something you're going to carry around, right?

If that's the case, I wouldn't leave a backup drive plugged in continuously.
    When it was time to back up, I'd plug the drive in, let it mount. Then run CCC, dismount the drive, and disconnect it.

Having said that, I currently have a Mac Mini on the desktop. I have a Seagate 1tb drive connected to it via firewire, but the Seagate is normally turned OFF -- unless I want to back up. Then I turn it on, do the backup, and turn it back off...

3. LaCieTech macrumors member

Hi,

I agree with Fishrrman's advice. You can technically daisy-chain up to 7 devices on Firewire and the way that interface was designed implies that bus power is an option. We generally recommend no more than 1 bus powered device and that it be on the end of the chain with all previous devices externally powered via a Power Supply Unit.

Its wise to have the backup drives only connected while you're backing up to reduce the risk of corruption or accidental data destruction.

Please also give us a call if you would like to discuss some practices with our technicians. We're at 503-844-4500 (USA) or www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie

4. mund thread starter macrumors member

Well THAT is good news... I figured if OK, that is where I would stick it, at the end, and only 2 deep. My thoughts/concerns have been that on the MBP for instance: (3) Thunderbolt devices, (1-2) Firewire devices, and a USB device attached may put too much of a load on it... ?!?!

Oh... FISHRRMAN, all of which would be attached until I placed the MBP in my carry bag, so maybe NOT 100% of the time ; ) Thanks For the Helpful, it's OK, advice guys...