Bus Powered External HD?

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
I am looking to get an external HD to backup my system before upgrading to Tiger - backing 20GB of data to DVD is too much hassle.

I have been leaning towards a "portable" external HD. Is there any down-side to a bus-powered HD? I like the idea of fewer cables, but I seem to recall that connecting the iSight and the iPod to the computer at the same time was causing issues which many felt were bus-power related.

I have a strong preference for a FW drive as I am running out of USB ports.

FWIW, I have a 1.8GHz SuperDrive iMac G5 w/1GB RAM and the following devices connected:

* 3G 20GB iPod (thinking of selling for a 2G iPod Mini)
* USB Bluetooth Dongle
* Apple Keyboard/Mouse
* HP DJ 5740
* DSL Modem via Ethernet

Thanks.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
The biggest drawback is price, but if you're willing to spend some money you'll have a nice little bus powered drive.

And you're right about iSight. If I just plug it in I immediately lose all my other FW devices--iPod, drives, EyeTV.

Comment

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
I don't have any actual statistics but it seems like FW powered drives are slower than the beefier A/C powered external drives.

Comment

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks. At this point I will assume it is an iSight-specific issue and not applicable to all bus-powered devices.

Sedulous said:
I don't have any actual statistics but it seems like FW powered drives are slower than the beefier A/C powered external drives.
Probably true. All of the bus-powered FW drives I have found are 2.5" 4200RPM/5400RPM laptop drives. The externally powered drives tend to be 3.5" 7200RPM drives, although there are externally powered 2.5" drives as well.

Comment

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
FWIW, I love my LaCie Mobile Drive. Its only 40 GB, but that is enough for my needs. I haven't noticed any problems while using it, but I don't have an iSight or anything else bus powered. If you need to carry a drive around on a daily basis, I highly reccomend this drive.

I got mine from LA Computer (found on dealmac.com) for $100. May be too much for a back up drive, but highly worth it if you need to carry the drive around a lot.

Comment

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
kgarner said:
FWIW, I love my LaCie Mobile Drive. Its only 40 GB, but that is enough for my needs. I haven't noticed any problems while using it, but I don't have an iSight or anything else bus powered. If you need to carry a drive around on a daily basis, I highly reccomend this drive.

I got mine from LA Computer (found on dealmac.com) for $100. May be too much for a back up drive, but highly worth it if you need to carry the drive around a lot.
Thanks kgarner. I did not know about dealmac - that is exactly the kind of setup I am looking for.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.