bus powered thunderbolt enclosure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikerahl, Jan 25, 2016.

1. mikerahl macrumors newbie

Hi, all. I suspect this is a longshot, but I'm trying to find a bus powered thunderbolt enclosure that would allow me to install my own disk and which is not the Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt adapter. I would prefer not to use the Seagate GoFlex adapters, mostly because I don't think Seagate is making them anymore and my last one failed. Any one know of any enclosures that fit the bill? If they have thunderbolt and USB3 together, so much the better.

Thanks!

2. treekram macrumors 6502a

I presume you want to use SATA 2.5" drives. Akitio has bus-powered Thunderbolt enclosures (Akitio ThunderGo also the Akitio Palm Raid which uses mSata SSD's). I've read that you can plug in standard SATA drives into the LaCie Rugged drives. The G-Technology G-Drive seems to be a protective device foremost but it may work. I haven't used any of these. If you go to the B&H Photo site, search for Thunderbolt and go to Drive Enclosures, they have a listing. When I was looking for Thunderbolt bus-powered external SSD's, I found that they had the most comprehensive listing of the major Apple retailers. I didn't end up buying from them but their listing was helpful.