Business Address Book

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KeithJaw, Nov 15, 2010.

1. KeithJaw macrumors newbie

This is an old bugbear of mine, but I've never been able to find a satisfactory solution.

Isn't it time there was a simple address book bundled into the operating system that would allow you to save business addresses, telephone numbers and contacts in a hierarchical fashion? I know we've become accustomed to saving contacts' info as individuals, as if they were our 'friends', but frankly that is nothing short of amateurish.

I need a simple system that has the business name, address and main switchboard number - and then, on a different level, information on each contact, their direct-dial and mobile numbers. It may seem blindingly obvious, but if that office moves its headquarters, you would then have only one address and telephone number to change.

I know this is amounts to a hierarchical database, and yes, I know I could set one up myself using something like NeoOffice - but why on earth isn't there something out there already that the business community can use?

2. designjohn macrumors newbie

Keith,

I completely agree with you!

The mac os x, and mac os x server, address book features are extremely basic in my opinion.

I would love for someone to come up with an extension of the mac os address book system to allow the kind of functionality you are describing. Additionally, it would be great to share certain groups of contacts, enabling read-write, or read-only access.

We've got a small studio of 12 people, trying to keep everyone's address books up to date and relevant tot he user is a pain.