Business Buying Advice-PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jecodob, Jun 8, 2009.

1. jecodob macrumors newbie

Hello all!

This is my first post, I am sure you get tired of people asking this over and over again but i need too. I appreciate all your feedback!

I run a small business in California and we are avid PC users' well everyone else is except me, i love macs but never owned one. I am at the point where i never want to look at another PC! They are nothing but trouble, confusion and ugliness!

They always work great for the first few months and then it is just down hill from there! I am in business and i don't have time to reformat each one and all that when there are problems and i am tired of paying my IT tech $300 per visit for stupid things! For instance i bought two new laser jet HP printers, when i was setting them up i could not figure out how to get them to hook up for the network through are exchange server! I ended up calling in the IT tech and he had to write a script and place it on the server for each printer, cost me $350.00! I recently purchased a MB for testing purposes with in 5 mins i was connected to the network and our severs and was printing from the MB! Crazy how easy it was!

Anyways my reason for writing is i am debating on which mac computer to purchase!

I have a small office staff and i was thinking of purchases mini's sense i already have monitors, keyboards and mouses'!

They will be using them for word processing, web, email, Microsoft office and we use quick books. Since we use quick books this means we will have to run parells because the mac quick books does not support multiple users.

SO my questions is has anybody experienced doing these things with a mac mini is it capable of this? Does it bog down when running windows xp?

We will be leasing these computers so they need to operate efficiently for at least two years. I want them to work well not just barley function while doing these tasks! I need my employees to stay productive!

Should i get a mac mini or just spring for 20" imacs? Honest opinions please!!

My next questions is for people with experience using mac book pros!

For me i am looking to swap to a macbook pro, sometimes i need to be mobile and i would love to be able to take my work home with me! My concern is agian computing power. I do the web design, graphic design everything marketing related. I use adobe dream weaver, photo shop, illustrator and a little video editing.

Will a Mac Book Pro honestly work well for this? Does anyone have experience doing what i am doing with it? I am also concerned about how difficult it is to hook up to a monitor and sync with the mighty mouse and might keyboard. I don't want a big 20 min setup process every morning!

I basically would prefer a iMac but i do occasionally need to be mobile and could not image having a laptop, i am almost tempting to get both but i am not trying to be wasteful.

I would apperciate all your comments than you!
    I am also on a time line so please hurry with the comments!:)

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

To run a VM using parallels, virtualbox, etc. you will want to get 2-4GB of RAM. You can do this yourself for a nice price break, but if you bust it you are out of luck. Its not hard, but it is a bit complicated. The Mini will be fine, but like I said throw some more ram into them.

And don't use Paralles, use VirtualBox, since it is free.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

A few comments:

(1) The mini will do fine for what you're asking it to do, and it will work for a few years without issue. I have a mini that's over three years old, and it serves its purpose just fine. If you already have the monitors and keyboards, this is the simplest choice. The only real gain from an iMac would be the ability to connect an additional monitor (you can only connect one to the mini, but you can connect an external to the iMac, meaning two displays in total). This is really helpful to me (I also have iMacs) but maybe not to you. The faster default hard drives in the iMacs also make them faster, but the price difference might not be worth it to you.

(2) I've had better luck with VMWare than Parallels, but either is fine. Sun's VirtualBox has worked for me for linux installs, but I've never used it for Windows.

(3) The MacBook Pros - especially with the newest announced-today versions - will have no problem doing what you want. Just be sure to get a fast drive and enough RAM (same advice is true for any computer purchase). And for docking, look at BookEndz. Docking takes seconds. No prolonged setup at all!

4. jecodob thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for the quick responses guys!

Another questions we also have a Microsoft exchange server 2003 edition has anyone switch from exchange to a apple server!

Is it easy or is it better!

5. jecodob thread starter macrumors newbie

6. jecodob thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Semiopaque macrumors regular

I could be wrong, but that might say something about the actual usage of OS X Server. I'm not saying it's not good; I actually have no idea, but you're much more likely to find employees who really know how to use and maintain Exchange servers than OS X, which is something to think about when planning out a long term business IT plan.

Even the 'Mac experts' at the last place I worked didn't know Macs or OS X all that well let alone the Apple server software - which is why I was able to walk off with my Intel Mac Pro for $450 while they thought it was a better deal to get the G5s at $350 when we liquidated the company. ;)