Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purpleplume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a card for a freelance writer. Background image corresponds to her site. Signature and tagline correspond to the Site ID.

Most challenging has been readability over the background image. We're flexible on font for the small letterforms. This draft is done with Chantilly. Client prefers a more elegant font like Avenir Next Pro Condensed (which I don't have).

Normally, I wouldn't do a background image, but she wants a look and feel that's consistent with her site. Anyone have ideas that would make this work without losing the "personal branding" objective she's going for?

Attachments

• VistaPrint_BusinessCard4.JPG
    VistaPrint_BusinessCard4.JPG
    571.8 KB · Views: 115

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Anyone have ideas that would make this work without losing the "personal branding" objective she's going for?
I like the image, but IMHO the background picture is far too busy to leave the text legible.

Can you simplify the background image enough to just leave the impression of the picture, without actually using the picture?

I'm thinking keep the color tone and content, but have it just end up like a shadow/outline of the pen and candle?

B

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Could do the title and image on one side and client info on the back over a more simpler or saturated design. Or if it needs to be single sided - run a solid white layer with reduced opacity somewhere under the text so it is more legible or break the visual up and add in a few areas with solid colour etc.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Ehhh, images never really work well on business cards, looks Amateurish, not to mention you run into the issues you are. I'd take bluetooths idea and if they have to have a picture, turn it over, but still looks like a Kinkos move to me.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
86 the image. Either that or toss an opacity on it. Wash it out A LOT.

I like the font you have used. It looks nice and elegant.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
You could write the information on the paper, as if the hand in the pic had already written it.

Then put the contact info on the back. The slogan and writer's name should fit in that space.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I get this problem all the time as the folks I work with are very fond of their 'pretty pictures'..... (I wear two 'hats' at work - one is systems admin, the other is graphic design - oh the joys of working for a charity! :p ).

Anyhow, in a similar situation with business cards, I wound up doing a double-sided card, framing the image on the front top and bottom with a solid colour and using that area for name and slogan - contact info went on the back.

With a b/g image as busy as that one, there's not really many options - it's either double-sided, using a tint or just throwing a shaped opacity on there to background the lettering...

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
That image makes her look like a fifteenth century scribe rather than a modern freelance writer.

Luxury (space) Lifestyle (space) Writer makes it sound like three separate words, not a sentence.

Avoid outlined text, especially at that size.

There's some funny spacing in the text and 'phone' looks like it needs a capital P.

The email / web addresses are set out oddly. Which is the web, which is the email (I know the @ tells you, but it lack clarity)?

Why is there an extra, unconnected by the looks of it, web address?

Daringescape

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
CA
I dont have the photo or the same fonts, but since you have to use the photo I would try something like this:

Attachments

• card-sample.jpg
    card-sample.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 425

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
That image makes her look like a fifteenth century scribe rather than a modern freelance writer.

Luxury (space) Lifestyle (space) Writer makes it sound like three separate words, not a sentence.

Avoid outlined text, especially at that size.

There's some funny spacing in the text and 'phone' looks like it needs a capital P.

The email / web addresses are set out oddly. Which is the web, which is the email (I know the @ tells you, but it lack clarity)?

Why is there an extra, unconnected by the looks of it, web address?

Outlined text is a big "amateur designer" giveaway. Especially at small sizes.

iHermes

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
too busy ... i like daringescape ... forgive cause i didn't read all the thread ... just review the images ...

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I wouldn't do a background image, but she wants a look and feel that's consistent with her site. Anyone have ideas that would make this work without losing the "personal branding" objective she's going for?

At the end of the day you are the designer and you have to guide the client through the design process. I think it would be worth pointing out that web != print and there are different styles and conventions.

It won't look great having a background image that detailed because you will always come up with the same problem of legibility of text.

One way to do this is to stick the image on the back (this would increase expense though, but could look really classy if done right).

My idea would be to only show a portion of the image (obviously with your own image):

Attachments

• dr1.png
    dr1.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 73
  • dr2.png
    dr2.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.