Business cards in iWork 08 (and 09!) are broken

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akm3, Jan 8, 2009.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm not sure where I'm screwing this up, but I used the Pages business card template and designed the upper left box exactly like I want it, but I cannot figure out how to get that business card filled into all the other boxes.

if I lasso everything and copy/paste, it will paste into the new box but disappear from the first one.

I can't figure out how to propagate the card between all the boxes without meticulously rebuilding it in every box - that CAN'T be right.

What am I doing wrong?

2. jameskohn macrumors 6502

cut and paste

I can't get this thing to work worth a darn in iWork 09 either. Best I can do is copy and paste.... very lame.

3. mollylaurel macrumors newbie

Me too - it's so time consuming to edit all of them. Anybody help, PLEASE??!?!?

eDIT: think this is answered in the other post

4. wiz561 macrumors newbie

Funny, I was working on this and had the same problem.

From what I've seen on other sites, it looks like you have to copy and paste the first one into the rest of the boxes. I agree with the other posters; very lame. There has to be an easier way to update the rest of the cards!

5. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, and C&P is a bit wonky. I kept having the problem where pasting the first one made the 2nd disappear, AND you couldn't make them all line up right.
    It's pretty weak.

I finally got it by duplicating just one element at a time, but each business card is slightly different.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Select all of the elements of one card (shift-click). Group the elements (under the Arrange menu). Now select the grouped card elements and either copy and paste or duplicate. Lining up is easy because they snap to the grid automatically and the yellow vertical and horizontal alignment lines appear as you drag.

7. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Copy & Pate the text box (Business card) works fine
    You need to delete the other cards first though.
    S.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, if you're sticking with Apple's templates, it's really simple: it draws from your Address Book card. The problem comes when you deviate from Apple's intentions, which I agree with everyone here is really poorly done. If you plan on using one of Apple's templates though, just make sure you match up the information on the card with the information in your Address Book card, and it will fill it in for you.

jW

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't understand the problem. Sure it's easier if it pulls your address etc, from Address Book, but even if it doesn't, the entire process of changing it to what you want takes probably an entire minute.

10. bedofmoss macrumors newbie

ij reilly

you are the mAAAaaan. thank you. or wooooomaaaan if thats the case.:D

11. Time Flies macrumors newbie

same problem

I called applecare with the same problem and they told me I had to re-do the card in each box, there's no way to make one and have it duplicate.

I couldn't believe it, this is a huge pain in the ass. I expected better from Apple. I will go back to a pc next year.