Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I work about 10-12 hours/day, on my feet, walking on cement, at a grocery store. I've worn Ecco Helsinki shoes for the past 8 years. They have been great, but lately they're feeling a little too tight. Unfortunately, Eccos do not come in wider sizes. They only come in their standard, but they say this should fit almost everyone. My feet are starting to get sore a bit so I'm worried about long term effects.

Are there any similar branded shoes out there? When I bought my first pair, I went to Dillard's, told the guy that had been there forever what my needs were, and he sold me a pair of Eccos and Johnston and Murphys. The JM were alright, but I could feel the edge of the heel in the middle of my foot as I walked. Very annoying, and I ended up wearing them only once a week.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Crockett and Jones or Edward Green get my vote of confidence. If you want domestic, you can opt with Allan Edmonds. Few shoemakers know how to make a good shoe that will last years with resoling. I've got a couple of custom dress shoes made for me by various shoemakers in the UK, thought I think those would cost too much for your needs.

Shoes are very hit or miss. Usually miss. Each individual's foot is different. Each shoe is made for a specific sole. You might love the shoe, but it might not love your foot. Do you understand? If so, keep reading. The best way to find the perfect shoe is to do research and ask around. Call up the maker of a shoe and voice your concern. If they're worth their salt, they can help direct you towards models that your feet will love.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Crockett and Jones or Edward Green get my vote of confidence. If you want domestic, you can opt with Allan Edmonds. Few shoemakers know how to make a good shoe that will last years with resoling. I've got a couple of custom dress shoes made for me by various shoemakers in the UK, thought I think those would cost too much for your needs.

Shoes are very hit or miss. Usually miss. Each individual's foot is different. Each shoe is made for a specific sole. You might love the shoe, but it might not love your foot. Do you understand? If so, keep reading. The best way to find the perfect shoe is to do research and ask around. Call up the maker of a shoe and voice your concern. If they're worth their salt, they can help direct you towards models that your feet will love.

I wear Church's shoes; actually, I wear hardly anything else.

Yes, they are exceedingly expensive, but, yes, they are also exceptionally well-made - last years with re-soling - and are extremely comfortable once you have broken them in.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Our office is business casual. I've been wearing Skechers for years and I love them. They come in really wide widths and are great for long days.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Our office is business casual. I've been wearing Skechers for years and I love them. They come in really wide widths and are great for long days.

My closet is filled with an assortment of Skechers, I agree with this suggestion. I even have two pairs of the same style in different colors, multiple styles are this way. Sadly, some of my favorites have been discontinued, I may need to find some new favorites but finding shoes that fit my feet right is CHALLENGING.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.