Business Major in College...Own a MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JGC1986, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

I have recently bought a MacBook laptop, the white one with a 2.1 GHz processor, 250 GB hard drive, and 2 GB of RAM. I got it through my school with a discount, and opted to get the free 8 GB Ipod touch, which I already have got my rebate back for. :)

But, anyways, to my question. Do you think I will be alright with a Mac being a business major? Is anyone here a business major with a Mac??

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i got through engineering with an emac and a mb later on

you will be fine

3. venusian macrumors member

pfft yes! for a business major what cant it do!

(its not like you'll need any super spiffy statistics programs that only run on windows like for economics - in which case I'm sure your college/university's computer labs will have and you can use or use bootcamp/parallels)

4. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I'm a business student and our school reccomends tablets for Business students, however I'm getting a mac and I know its not an issue, already been in the program for 3 years. I'm putting bootcamp on so if I need any stats software or whatever I'll just go into the Vista side.

5. Tomatoking macrumors newbie

Well all business majors do is take scantron tests

lol sorry i had to

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have a MacBook and my minor is in business and it serves me very well, it can't do anything school related that my iMac can't handle.

7. mr.light macrumors 6502

My stepson just finished his getting his University Business Degree. Macbook pro got him through with no problems.

8. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I got through the second half of undergrad (BSBA- Accounting) on a 12" Powerbook after switching from a PC.
    There was one class that required a windows-only program which left me in the computer lab a lot but with parallels and now bootcamp, I think you should be fine with the Macbook.

9. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Completed my BS last year (May 2007) with majors in Finance and Accounting and minors in Economics and Political Science, all while using a PowerBook G4.

In my view, a MacBook should serve sufficient for any business-oriented undergraduate program. That said, through my personal experience, I oft used Windows-based computers for the use of shortcuts embedded within MS Excel & PowerPoint, as they are much quicker and easier to learn on the Windows platform (as well as much more universal once you graduate from College). I did not need any other software for my undergraduate program - Excel & PowerPoint were the most significant.

Hope this helps.

10. mike21190 macrumors member

Im majoring in finance this upcoming fall and I got a MBP. It should be fine, I have office installed and can always run boot camp if I need any windows programs.

11. savvos macrumors regular

I am starting an MBA program this fall and a MacBook meets all the specs they require. Just install Windows for Windows-only programs and you will be fine. I can't think of a single piece of business software that needs more powerful graphics than a MB offers and there aren't a whole lot of business-oriented notebooks that have faster processors.

Your school may require you install Vista. If you do, make sure you figure out how to prevent software update pop-ups from interrupting full-screen PowerPoint presentations. I've seen it happen at 3 different conferences now and it's incredibly unprofessional. If you school is fine with you running XP, I'd go with that over Vista.

12. NicoleCloset macrumors newbie

I am taking legal and business classes and I intend to take advantage of the student discount also, but I'm waiting until beginning of August.

How long did you have to wait to get your rebate?

13. mike21190 macrumors member

I got my MBP on a Tuesday night. Filled out the rebate form Wednesday and had the check by the following Monday.