Business major laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jhanson09, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

About to go off to college, ready to get a new mac laptop. Business major, occasionally plays around w/ photoshop etc, lots of music, a few torrents every now and then.... would a macbook be fine for me? or do i need to step up to the MBP, which version?

Im guessing i would probably be alright with the new uni-body macbook, but am not quite sure if i should get the 2.4 or stick w/ the 2.0.
    any thoughts would be appreciated....

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MacBook will be fine unless you are really into gaming.

3. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

no not at all, the 2.4 worth the extra money, or should i stick w/ the 2.0 and maybe upgrade the ram w/ the money saved?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you don't do anything processor intensive the 2.0 should be fine. You probably know to get and install the RAM yourself to save some money.

You can also look into the refurb store. Looks like new, same warranty as new, but certain % off from new.

store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

5. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks a lot, is it very hard to install RAM into the new uni body macbooks?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You say you dabble in photoshop, but honestly I hear that so much on these boards lol...

Anyway, you don't indicate any highly complex applications or usage scenarios, i'd say even a Macbook Air would work for you, especially since you don't game. But you do indicate that you use photoshop, which means that :

A) You will need to weigh the pros and cons of the price between the MBP and the MB and the MBP has a much higher quality screen than the MB.

B) The GPU and extended graphics capabilities of the macbook pro. This will probably come to fruition when using the intergrated display along with, say, a thirty inch monitor, working on a really complex composition, or, if you want to use any of the Creative Suite video applications which can use OpenGL acceleration.

So from what you describe, any machine, including the macbook would work. Aside from photoshop (mentioned above), you don't mention any specialized applications that would warranty the increased costs unless you were doing professional grade work.

7. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Nope it's very easy. The manual that comes with the laptop has a picture walkthrough :)

8. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah the photoshop stuff is pretty much just for fun nothing that i think would make me need to pay an extra 700 bucks for the MBP....Not a big Mac book air fan, with the less batterly life and no dvd burner. So i believe i will probably go w/ the macbook. I am still stuck between the 2.0 or the 2.4 w/ the luminated keyboard though.

9. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

It's actually easier than installing an HDD into them (getting the T6 here is like impossible >_<)
    And for RAM I would suggest Crucial from NewEgg (if you live in the US and A)
    And I would suggest either the 1.6/1.86 MBA (if you have the cash; it's a really great machine and you will seriously appreciate the size/weight of it if you take it to school every day), if you're on a tighter budget then a 2.0 MB will be fine unless you want the backlit keyboard (I really never knew how great it was until I got to use it :p). But the 2.4 MBP is also a really great machine. I would say that it is very worth it to get the 2.4 MBP if you consider the 2.4 MB; the difference in what you get is VERY worth it.

10. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

that helps a lot, I think I'm leaning towards the 2.4 mb w/ backlit keyboard. Does it void the warranty to add RAM?

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No, unless you damage it.

12. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I also bought a 2.4MB and i love it. Best machine I have ever owned. You will enjoy it.

No it does not. But if you ever have any trouble with the macbook, i suggest putting the old ram back in it. Just incase they replace it or anything.

also, replacing the ram is VERY easy

If you are unsure, youtube has many videos on how to do it.

13. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I have the 2.0ghz w/ 4gb ram and it's pretty nice, I've only used Dreamweaver on it so far but seems to be pretty fast. If you use you computer in the dark a lot than, the backlit keyboard will help out tons.

I use to have a 17"mbp and now that I don't have the backlit keyboard I kinda miss it, but I also am not the fast typer.