Business not showing up in apple maps!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by acozzi80, Sep 20, 2012.

1. acozzi80 macrumors newbie

Hey All.

My business is not being displayed in Apple Maps. Anticipating the switch from Google Maps to Apple Maps (with Yelp! for local search data), months ago I verified my business was on Yelp! and has reviews. I am currently the second listing in my category for a local search.

I contacted Apple this morning and after about 20 minutes told me to contact Yelp!... which is impossible. I did send them an email and I'm awaiting a response... typically a week from what I gather. Apple has no way of even manually adding businesses to Apple Maps unlike all of their competitors; Google, Bing, etc.

Most of my new customers come from localized searches and need to get this resolved ASAP. Anyone else having this issue?

2. MPMusic1 macrumors newbie

Yes. I am too. Haven't contacted Yelp yet, however.

3. MBPnoob macrumors regular

Your company isn't called "Google" by chance, is it?

:p

4. Trager macrumors member

I hate to say it, but you're out of luck unless you have several hundred dollars per month to pay Yelp. Their search results are extremely preferential to business that pay for placement and promotion. If you aren't one of those, you won't show up on the Maps search unless someone zooms very far in on your location. I've been seeing search hits from 10 miles away show up instead of ones that show on google at less than a mile distance.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You can report to Apple directly. I gave the link on how to above.

6. Trager macrumors member

Aside from the fact that we have no idea what they actually change (if anything) when you use the report function, the issue has more to do with search than anything else. I teach at a martial art school five miles from my house; a few months ago we decided against paying Yelp's exorbitant monthly promotion fees, and as a result saw Yelp filter 80% of our positive reviews away and our search ranking in their service drop drastically. When I do a search for "martial art" centered on that neighborhood, the results that I get are 5-10 miles away and correlate strongly with going to Yelp and seeing which businesses paid for preferred placement (you can tell because their ads show up on the pages for non-paid placement businesses). If I zoom in sufficiently, the search does show the school I'm affiliated with, but I've got to zoom really far in.

I performed some similar tests with generic searches like "library" and "post office". The search algorithm is quite obviously prioritizing places that have a lot of Yelp reviews over relevance or distance. The issue isn't that the businesses or locations aren't in the database, it's that they aren't being displayed as local search results.