Business Power PC app gone!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gmeddy, Oct 14, 2012.

1. gmeddy macrumors newbie

I have to do my tax for the past financial year, and went to open up the program I was keeping all my business records on, FileNet eForms, and it's gone!
    So I locate it on a Time Machine backup and restore it, but it wont work because I'm now on Mountain Lion!

I had no idea this would happen before I upgraded obviously, or I would have printed all the records out beforehand!

Can anyone tell me if there is a simple solution to view the invoices and stuff that were all in this program?

I have read some other threads about partitioning drives and installing SL and rosetta and stuff, but I don't have install disks for SL or anything.

I guess I still have all the data, but just can't read it with ML...

Help?

2. California macrumors 68040

California

This is the reason why many of us don't want to update to Lion or Mountain Lion.

What I'd do is get a blank external drive/usb or firewire and do a back up to that disc from your Snow Leopard back ups in Time Machine. You can then boot from that disc when you need to use PPC programs.

3. gmeddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 320GB drive with only Snow Leopard backups on it, with 23GB free space... are you saying I can somehow simply boot up in SL from that drive?

4. California macrumors 68040

California

No, I wrote that you need a BLANK drive and you configure it with your SL backups... you probably need your original OEM start up discs now that I think about it. What computer is this?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have a 320GB drive with only Snow Leopard backups on it, with 23GB free space... are you saying I can somehow simply boot up in SL from that drive?"

The IMPORTANT question to ask here is, "what did you use to create the backups?"

If you used Time Machine, NO, you cannot boot from that drive.

If you used either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, the drive may indeed be bootable.

Which did you use?

Having written that, the solution for you is to either boot from an external Snow Leopard backup (if you have one), or, to install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard onto an external drive (or even onto a partition on your internal drive), and boot from that when you need to use your older, PPC-based software.

Having a "dual-boot" Mac is no problem at all, in fact, I'd recommend it.