Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HerrRolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I just wanted to hear some thoughts on Apple's business practice of keeping mum on updates, new design schemes, etc. until they are released (I have the monetivina chipset and possible redesign in mind). Why do you think businesses do this? Surely it can't be to build anticipation, b/c most people don't follow these things, they just buy whatever is in the store at the current time of purchase. At least, that's what I think, what do you think?

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I just wanted to hear some thoughts on Apple's business practice of keeping mum on updates, new design schemes, etc. until they are released (I have the monetivina chipset and possible redesign in mind). Why do you think businesses do this? Surely it can't be to build anticipation, b/c most people don't follow these things, they just buy whatever is in the store at the current time of purchase. At least, that's what I think, what do you think?
why buy the current model if something newer and better is coming out?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
b/c most people don't follow these things, they just buy whatever is in the store at the current time of purchase?

Bite
Your
Tongue

:p

Seriously, chidz is right. And lots of extra, free publicity is good too.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

I got told it's regulation reasons - they're a business, and leaking information prior to release could land them in trouble. Plus, they like a tight ship - it creates a lot of free publicity and build up for them.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
It's a mindset that Jobs brought back to the company with him from NeXT.. It's referred to as the "osborne effect"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

basically the employees knew the OS sucked, and that it's days were #'ed now that Jobs was back and focusing all of the resources they could on finishing the NeXT level OS.. Jobs ordered all employees to stop bad mouthing the current OS and talking up the future one.. He knew that they needed to continue to sell the current systems in order to be available to afford to fund the development of OSX..

It's a practice that they continue to follow to this day.. I've read insiders quoted as saying this philosophy really helps Apple make the most of their R&D dollars.. I'm not sure how true it is, but apparently employees really believe it.. Apparently they're so tight lipped about most things that the only way to really get a "scoop" on a new product release is from the marketing department.. It only makes sense that the marketing department actually knows about new releases first when you think about it..

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
why buy the current model if something newer and better is coming out?

Can be said for a brand new model though. When Monteniva comes out, why buy it, wait until Nehalem, or the next one.

Back on topic, I think it's about the average customer. People that need a machine or want one that don't breath tech night and day like Mac Rumers members don't care about the next machine. They just want a computer and want it when they go into to buy it.

The next model isn't a big deal to them. I am sure the iPhone users would agree with that as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.