Business School

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm just wondering how many of you went to business school. Any comments, experiences, or anything to share? What kinds of jobs do you tend to get with a MBA? What jobs did you end up getting? How good are the aspects?

Just looking for comments, that's all.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is the education, and then the contacts you get while in school.

If you can swing the rights schools, you chances of landing the high dollar job are greater. Because of who you know and who was sleeping in your dorm wing.

If you can't you can still get there, but it'll likely take more work and risk on your part.

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Guess not that many here went to b-school?

I have a specific question... some applications ask me to illustrate my quantitive abilities (by describing courses I took, etc). As a philosophy/history major, I basically had no quantitive classes. What do you think? Should I take a couple at a community college or something?

4. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I have to ask, why do you want to pursue an MBA in the first place? Don't most history majors go to law school :) ??

I am at your stage for grad school but I graduated this May with a bachelors degree in Accounting. An MBA for a non-business person like you will give you some leadership and other skills to operate in a business environment - primarily management.

Really it's is a clean slate in terms of degree application. Most people use this degree to get promoted or earn a higher salary. I know Engineering majors get their MBA in order to have a decent shot at management since these engineering/construction firms are businesses at heart.

Now in terms of those "quantitative abilities" your applications talk about, I will direct you to my alma mater's MBA program's foundation course list. This is what all MBA candidates have to had completed before enrolling. If you didn't take it in your undergrad days, you need to take them before starting:

http://cba.unomaha.edu/mba/Foundation_courses.html

I would also call the school's advising office and talk with them about your desires to enter the program. They will tell you where you need to be and how to get there.

I am tired, so my sentences aren't making much sense but I hope that helped.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't have any experience yet but my boss is sending me off to do an MBA for the contacts. She also thinks it'll help broaden my perspective to see other fields of work. I'm in wine wholesaling/distributing and it'd be nice to get some tips from other industries.

ravenvii, are you looking into this to be more employable or is it out of necessity? Are you trying to get further ahead in a job you already have? :)

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I am currently in law school and am not too happy. Just looking at other options.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay well I've always thought of it as an add-on qualification. It's pretty broad and there are lots of different types. I see it as something that'll be nice to have, but the actual course work will probably be quite basic. I'm not sure it'll be entirely useful in that sense, but I could be wrong...

8. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Yeah it depends. The MBA program I am going to apply for has you select between different types of leadership "themes" to study. Then you take different courses based on that theme.

I know you can get more technical if you wish through your electives. For instance, I need to take a couple more accounting classes so I can qualify to sit for the CPA exam and I will use some MBA electives to fulfill the requirements.

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, that's what I'm getting the feeling of. The MBA is best as a seasoning, not the main course itself.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How far through law are you? That's a pretty damn good main course, if you can just get to the end.

11. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I majored in Business as an undergrad, and there are a few things I'd rather do first before getting a masters in business - specifically, jumping off the Empire State building and landing headfirst into a thumbtack, or licking a public toilet.

12. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

The two business law classes I took in college are all the law I need.

13. rworks1 macrumors newbie

rworks1

Another youngster looking for guidance

I'm currently at Tennessee State University working to get a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing. Afterwards, I'm planning on getting an Executive MBA from Vanderbilt University.

Anyone have any comments regarding those schools or the marketing concentration?

I'm hoping to become a CEO or at least a VP of Marketing.

Thanks!

Rich Works
    myspace.com/rworks1

14. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Just FYI to everyone. I heard that one of the dumbest things you can do is major in Business as an undergrad if you want to go to business school later (esp. a top tier one).

Not trying to start something. But I read this in the Boston Globe at some point in the spring or summer when I was looking for jobs. I think the point the author (who was a CEO or hiring manager) was making was that generally doing an business degree during undergrad is not a wise investment considering the costs of many private unversities and the fact that we're there for 4 years. One is better off majoring in something that interests the person like English or Engineering or whatnot. And when you go to Business school to get your MBA you're also getting much more of your $$ worth in 2 years since much of what you're learning will be new. Also the folks at Sloan told me when I visited that work experience is much more valuable than a undergraduate degree in business.

Again, not trying to irk people, but rather just share what I've heard/read.

15. rworks1 macrumors newbie

rworks1

Mba

So I guess the best thing to do is to stay in there and get a MBA.

What about DBAs: Doctorate of Business Administration. Are those needed in the workplace for executive level professionals?

16. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I think the best thing to do is to get some experience.

No point in having a million degrees and no job experience.