Business Solution: Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SmithErick, Oct 4, 2013.

1. SmithErick macrumors member

We will be using 2013 Macbook Air's with Intel 5000. What is the best, more user friendly option to connect multiple monitors?

I have users who have 2, and others who have 3. I am not looking for the thunderbolt display answer either. Performance is important.

2. SmithErick thread starter macrumors member

I assume USB is the answer here? I was hoping to gain better performance as my users are used to Dell and the Docking system.

3. Kasalic macrumors regular

Don't know of anything which does what you want. I would have thought that Thunderbolt would be an ideal solution if you could get an external graphics card box which allows you to connect multiple monitors.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

5. anonnymouse macrumors regular

Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go external multi-monitor adapters?

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/solutions/mac/

They don't seem to list the 2013 Airs on their "Recommended Solutions" page yet, but the 2012 models get 1360x768 on each of the three screens. Don't know if that's what you're looking for in terms of "performance".

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/mac/choice/

6. cheesygrin macrumors member

I have looked into this issue myself, and haven't come up with a reasonable, cost-effective solution. I wanted to power 3 24" displays, but only a retina Pro 15" has the firepower and ports to do it natively, and USB adapters seem to me to be too much of a compromise.

A thunderbolt powered graphics card dock would be a good solution, but they don't officially exist, as Intel are being awkward with the hardware licensing.

This issue is single-handedly pushing me toward using a PC instead. :(

7. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

+1!

Is there some reason you're bound and determined to use the MBA, other than price? Much as I hate to admit it, rMBPs would be the easier solution.

8. SmithErick thread starter macrumors member

I was beginning to see the same thing as far a pushing me to a rMBP versus the MBA. Price was the main concern, but by the time you deal with headaches, USB adapters, etc the rMBP will come out on top.

I will be testing the Matrox adapter soon, I had a bad experience with one on a PC and it was a major headache, so I am iffy to that solution.

Thanks folks!