Business Solutions - grant money service

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cwright, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Lately I've been looking around for possibilities of grant money for expanding my videography business. I didn't find much in the way of funding for for-profit businesses (and didn't really expect to), until I came across this Business Solutions company that called me after my application.

I'm pretty sure now that this is a company that I shouldn't work with, but I thought I'd post my experience so far and see if anyone had personal experience dealing with these kinds of companies.

I applied through their site and per their request I explained in detail what I need the money for, and itemized each need. For my immediate needs, I came up with $23,000. They called me and informed me that I would be a good candidate for a grant. They say they do not seek government grants, but rather look for funding from other large businesses, who are interested in funding for-profit businesses. And they say that now is the best time to apply, because businesses are needing to give grant money soon to qualify for their tax credits. I don't know if this is true or not. Also, they say their minimum request for funding is $100,000, and that due to my plans for expansion (from our conversation), they would recommend that I seek $150,000. Sounds great, right?

Well the catch is that I have to pay them $3,600 for their service to work with me to write an official 3-year business plan. I'm well aware that a formal business plan is needed to qualify for any funding, so this is understandable, even if the price seems very steep. The first person I talked to, I asked if paying the $3,600 guaranteed the funding they claimed they could get me. She dodged the question, but I eventually got a "Yes" out of her. Next day, I talked to another person and asked the same question. She told me that the only way I would not qualify for the funding would be if they found a felony on my record. And they said they'd already done a background check on me to make sure I had none.

So they send me their agreement, and sure enough I find: "Consultant does not guarantee or warranty, express or implied that this plan will result in any funding, loans, grants, venture capital, or investments for the company".

I write back to my contact and point this out. She replies saying that it is illegal for them to guarantee funding by a third party, but they have already researched with their many corporate contacts to find interest in funding. I just don't get this information until I become a client. She also directed me to the FTC website and said that if many people had been unsatisfied, there would be complaints there.

So as confident as they may sound now, something tells me their tone could easily change after they have my $3,600.

Anyone else dealt with these kind of companies? Do all "Business Solutions" type companies work in the same way?

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

http://bizcentral.us/
    http://bizpros.us/

I'd stay far away from this group that has one of two identical yet not same not ".com" websites with different company names and yet is offering free money but only after you sent them several thousand first.

I really hope you spent more than 1 minute googling them before starting some serious discussion with them. I'm not sure they are illegitimate but damn do they seem sketchy.

3. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did alot of searching for info on the company but didn't come across those mirror sites, so thanks for posting those. That's enough to confirm what I already suspected. :eek:

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

One good trick is to take some text on the site and search verbatim on google. Helps find complete copies, at least.