Business trip to US =shopping advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KrisLord, Nov 23, 2015.

1. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I may be travelling from the UK to the US in January and was wondering if it's worth trying to buy some tech when I'm there.

Normally there's some Apple product I want, but I've recently bought an Apple Watch and the new Apple TV. If I could upgrade from my iPad Air or iPhone 6 and save a bit I'd consider it. Failing that I was considering a 1TB SSD. However, on looking for stuff the savings went as big as I expected. It's only $20 on the Samsung Evo at $347 on Amazon or newegg! The iPad savings are ok but is an Air 2 worth spending the money on?

So I guess my question is are there any good sites to check? I could get something delivered to a friend before travelling.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The typical, Amazon, but also look at NewEgg, and if you are looking for Macs, check out MacMall.

3. KrisLord thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks i wasn't familar with MacMall, i'll take a look.

4. antipodean macrumors member

I picked up an Apple Watch and iPhone 6s on my last work trip to the States, but it looks like you'real covered for those. As an aside, I wouldn't upgrade from an iPad Air or iPhone 6 at this point. Boring suggestion is AppleCare if you have a Mac < 1 year old.

Not tempted by an iPad pro I assume?

5. KrisLord thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've looked at iPad and iPhone upgrades, but the savings vs UK pricing don't really justify the cost, I'd be better just waiting till the iPhone 7 is out.

I've not held an iPad Pro but I don't think I need one. My iPad is cellular and the pro is too big/expensive!

I do have a 12" MacBook, but it came via the UK higher education scheme so it has 3 year hardware warranty. That obviously rules out buying any other Mac laptop too.

I enjoy photography and have looked at camera stuff. A new Sony body is the only bargain I can find ($400) as even lenses don't offer a huge saving ($400 on bhphoto, but eBay UK has them for £250, so minimal savings)

I don't recall ever being so content with my tech before now!