business VAT off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdcuk, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mdcuk macrumors newbie

Hey, i'm looking at buying a mac soon and I will be getting education pricing as well, but my mum owns her own business and i'm pretty sure if you put the purchase though the business you get VAT off. Does any one know how to do this or have you done this? :apple:
    Thanks

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

your mother should know how to do this. You need some tax exempt forms I think.

Anyways, I'm not sure if you can benefit both from education discount and business (non-) taxation. In particular since on the apple website, there is both an "education store" and a "business store".

3. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

If she or her company is VAT-registered, VAT can be reclaimed on anything purchased for the business. She can't reclaim VAT on something bought for you.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What's a little VAT fraud between friends? :p

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

This thread seems... like you are asking "if I do this illegally will it be cheaper?"

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, if you order online from a reseller, you often don't have to pay VAT to the reseller. In that case one has to inform the home state about the purchase and pay VAT by oneself. I ask you, who does that?

7. d0nK macrumors 6502

I think the OP is from the UK where we have to pay VAT as well as a large, un-accounted-for, plucked from the air, "you don't live in America" Apple markup.
    Apple's international currency conversion is insane :mad:

To the OP - ask yer Mum, but in order for it to be worthwhile being VAT registered you have to make a fair sized profit each year. Mind you, if she can afford to buy a Mac in the UK she must be doing alright :cool:

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hmm, there's some price difference, but it's not that much since e.g. prices in europe contain around 20% VAT, while the US prices are without VAT. Take the apple store germany. The 15'' base MBP is listed at 1749 Euro, compared to 1799 USD. The Euro price contains 19% VAT, so the base price in Germany is 1469.75. At the current exchange rate this translates to $1984 which gives a roughly 10% markup.
    Similarly, for the UK, the price without VAT is 1291 pounds. This corresponds to $2015, so the markup is a bit higher than in Germany.

Now, add in that
    - you want a buffer to absorb fluctuations in the exchange rate
    - you have to offer a localized keyboard for a much smaller market
    - you have to adapt products to local laws and regulations
    - might have to pay some sort of customs in some areas

Btw, it seems that the MBP is slightly cheaper in Mexico right now.