Busted for speeding...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Aug 3, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I got one of those tickets with a fine, a picture of my car, and information about the posted speed limit (25) and the speed I was traveling at (35). First time I've ever gotten one of those... I'll be much more careful now.

2. TheQuestion macrumors regular

And be sure to say thank you to big brother!!

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Thank goodness those things were declared unconstitutional here years ago. When we had them, they made everybody mad.

4. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

i remember hearing a story of someone who got a ticket like you, they sent him a picture of his car and a ticket which required him to pay a fine. So he sent back a picture of the money. The authorities sent him back a picture of hand cuffs and they later arrested him. I got a kick out of that story and i thought i would share it. Dont send them a picture of money by the way!

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I don't think they are legal in VA, but that legislation might have expired.
    They are legal in DC, and tons of people get busted at this one place where you are exiting a tunnel and the speed limit goes from like 45 to 20 really quick

6. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

haha! that's awesome.

Sorry to hear about your ticket.
    Some speed limits are really unrealistic, like, traffic wouldn't be moving at all if everyone followed the speed limit here.

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

ehh I guess its expected. Whenever I am breaking the law (speeding, driving in the HOV lane, etc.) I am always doing it with the notion that if I get a ticket, I deserved it and wouldn't get mad.

It is just too bad that you got busted by a camera instead of a police officer.

8. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Isn't it unconstitutional to nab someone for speeding unless you have both a picture of the car, with visible license plate, and a clearly identifiable picture of the driver? I know that plates go with the driver rather than the car in Ohio, but unless they have that, the driver could have been anyone.

9. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I suppose that is the justification for making cameras such as this illegal in many states, I guess it hasn't reached all the states

10. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

The National Motorists association website has some information on beating speeding tickets, legally.

I'm all for keeping speed reasonable and proper, but this business of using motorists as a revenue stream is maddening, and wrong. (my own opinion)

Attempts have been made in MA to pass a law that will bring in the "big brother cameras", but when such legislation is filed, "the people speak". They simply let their elected officials know that if you support this, I cannot support you in the next election.

MA law requires that a sworn police officer observe the moving violation first hand. He must then write the citation, hand it to you, and you must then sign it in the officer's presence.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I believe in Utah the reasoning was that you have a constitutional right to face your accuser. It's a little hard to "face" a radar gun hooked up to a camera.

12. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I'm thinking that a picture of a car without a clear picture of the driver is still reasonable doubt, even without the 6th Amendment argument. Or does that not apply in traffic cases?

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As someone who doesn't drive and has 2 deaths in the family from other people driving too fast (almost a 3rd, but my dad managed to swerve out of the way just in time) - I have no pity for anyone who speeds and at this stage I just don't care what happens to them.

14. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

35 in a 25 is, in 99% of cases, not reckless endangerment. 35 in a 25 is "exceeding the (probably ridiculous) posted limit". I'm sorry for your losses, but there is a huge difference between going ten over and going so fast as to put others lives in danger.

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No, I think you're right on this too. I was just saying that the specific problem found with them in Utah was that they violate the 6th amendment. Other states may have outlawed them based on the fact that they don't establish beyond reasonable doubt that the person being punished was the one who committed the "crime". Either way works for me as long as they continue to be illegal here...

16. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Agreed, and if the OP fights his it may be the beginning of the end for the damn things in my state too :D

17. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Yup!

You don't have to sign it though. He just needs to hand it to you in person.

I love that. This one awful old hag called the police on me once. I was driving down this long street up on the north shore where the limit is 35mph and she was going down at 25mph. She was in some old 80s dinky car and because I drive an SUV my lights are higher and brighter (but not white) and she said I was tailgating her and forcing her to drive faster. We never went past 35mph and most cars go 45 anyway. It's single lane and double yellow so I never tried to pass her.

Anyway, long story short the police said they couldn't do anything because they weren't there. And they thought she was a mean old hag too.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, seeing as how you don't drive you probably don't have a clue that many stretches of road have the speed limit set artificially low solely to generate ticket revenue for the municipality. Plenty of times you'll see a 45 choke down to 35 for a quarter mile in the middle of nowhere and then go back to 45. And – surprise – there's a set of VASCAR stripes right in the middle of the 35. :rolleyes: