Busted iPhone 2G logic board?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by murdercitydevil, Oct 9, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Today I tried to replace my iPhone 2G LCD/digitizer/glass. Everything went pretty smoothly until I got everything reinstalled. The screen worked fine, but it didn't recognize touch. Reinstalled and it still didn't recognize touch. I thought maybe it was a defective digitizer, so I tried my old one, and it worked fine.

So I tried reinstalling the new one ONE more time, and this time the LCD didn't work at all. I could tell the phone had started up and was working fine, I confirmed by connecting it to itunes and performing a restore, everything went through with no problems. I took it apart again and tried the old LCD once more, and now this one doesn't display anything at all either. So, I'm thinking that the display connector on the logic board is faulty, perhaps through a short or something else entirely. Does this sound about right?

I'm very discourage about all this, but it seems like this is the only possibility. Time to put this thing up on my shelf and let it gather dust? Replacing a logic board seems like a total waste of money at this point, considering I spent about a hundred bucks for a new LCD/digitizer/glass, back cover, and bezel. I hate to give up, but what else can I do?

2. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Can anyone confirm whether the logic board is dead, so I can put this phone to rest?

EDIT: by the way, I tried cleaning all the ribbons/connections with rubbing alcohol and for a brief period both the old and new LCDs displayed a white screen of death. Shortly thereafter they both do nothing. As I said the rest of the phone is still functional, but no display whatsoever on either LCD.