Busted iPhone 5S: Sell or Replace

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sonicrobby, Jul 31, 2014.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Hi all,

A while back I paid $400 for a used iPhone 5S. It has since been through serious damage, and the screen no longer functions properly. Now Im faced with a decision: should I sell the busted iPhone to gazelle for $125, or pay apple the $250 to get a replacement. Im currently (and have been using) my old iPhone 5. Im in no need to replace the 5S as I will get the 6 upon its release.

What would be the best economic decision? Take the $100 or so gazelle has offered, or invest a bit more in it in hopes for a higher resale value?

Question: Would apple give a replacement iphone in a different color?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It will be the same color.

$250 will get you another like new 5S that you will be able to sell when the 6 get out.

$125 from Gazel is sad.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That replacement is going to be $250 + tax. Figuring around $450 selling price, you also have to take into account shipping, eBay and PayPal fees if selling online (PayPal only if using Swappa). I did the math and for me, I'd only get ~$150 if I sell through Swappa after deducting replacement cost, shipping and PayPal fees. eBay, I'd get less than the Gazelle offer (~$105). :rolleyes:

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'd probably just take the $125 from Gazelle, keep using the iPhone 5 and stick that $125 towards the iPhone 6.

5. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

This is very informative, thanks! So Id only be making $25 extra if I went the replacement route, hardly seems worth all that hassle when I could just ship and forget it. Though my state is having a tax free weekend tomorrow and saturday, this would probably boost my profit margins then. Decisions decisions...

6. nox5 macrumors 6502

Full replacement at apple is 269 + tax
    Screen replacement at apple is 179 + tax
    List your iPhone on eBay auction and most likely you will get $200-$300 for it