Busted screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cparktd, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cparktd macrumors member

Well, I came home today to find my almost new Macbook Pro screen looking like this...

http://www.pbase.com/td2/image/135721507

My grandson said "it might have fallen off the table... Grrrrr....

Anyway, any idea what this is gonna cost me? Is this an in store fix?

Thanks,
    TD

2. cparktd thread starter macrumors member

Oh yea, 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare
    and it still works perfectly on external monitor / TV.

3. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I came across these fella's a while ago, it might give you an idea of what your looking at.

http://www.myservice.com/screens.html

Good luck, and don't be to hard on your grandson.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

looks like you are going to have to replace the screen and the glass, but the housing looks to be ok, so it won't be as bad as a full screen replacement. A few hundred dollars should get you fixed.

You can always use it with an external monitor in the mean time until you can get enough money to fix it.... you just won't be portable anymore.

5. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

And the grandson, while you're at it. I bet the next poster's life that he did it.

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Of course it's a bummer, but kids make mistakes, i'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. Let him learn his lesson and move along, it's just a computer and it can be fixed.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Good thing you had insurance....right? If not, you should look into it. The rates are quite reasonable and they cover you for theft and accidental damage.

8. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Be glad he didn't lie and not take ownership.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you go to a local Apple Store, you might be able to convince the Genius to do this under a Tier 2 repair (which is is $300, I believe) in store.

10. Sieben macrumors newbie

weird, it does look like a broken glass, but on the other hand he said he had the AG screen, which as far as i know does not have a glass protection.

11. cparktd thread starter macrumors member

Right, the pattern on screen looks just like shattered glass but its the soft surface screen and you can not see or feel any defect in the outer surface. There ha to be a glass or plastic layer in or behind that is broken.
    I'm off work today so I guess I'll drag myself up to Nashville and see what they say at the store.

Thanks