Busted volume button on new 13" MBP keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ndriver182, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I just got my new 13" MBP yesterday and so far it's working out great. I just noticed tonight that the F12 (volume up) button is loose. The right side of the button is not attached to the keyboard foundation at all and is only held in place on the left side so the key is very "jiggly" and not firm like the others. This is the only key that is having an issue. I tried calling Apple tech support, but they were already closed. Since this is a brand new computer is this something that I need to take in to an Apple Store for repair or what? I do have an Apple store nearby so that's not too big of a deal. I'm just not sure how to approach this issue.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the key is just not clipped in right, they can fix it on the spot. If the key's mount is busted, they'll most likely ship it out for a top-case replacement.

3. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

D'oh. I hope it's just a clip issue that's easily fixable. I really would rather NOT have to send it out immediately after receiving it. That would bite. Since I can lift up the key to see under the right side a bit it just looks like there's nothing attaching the bottom/right side of the key to the plastic catch on the keyboard. I bet there's some sort of metal clip that's not there.

4. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, no luck at the genius bar today. They said they couldn't do it because since it's a unibody they'd have to tear apart the whole computer to get at it. They suggested going straight through AppleCare, which means being without it for 3-5 days or something. Since they're closed I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I wonder if I'm being too picky or if I should just deal with it (as the "genius" mentioned to me as an option at the store today). I guess I just feel like since I spent $1200 on a new computer that the keyboard should have at least been put together right.

Anybody have any experience with AppleCare turnaround timeframes, etc.?

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Why should you just "deal" with a defect? I don't care if I paid only 10 bucks for something...I paid hard earned money - I want it as intended for use. Make sure they fix it for you and most often they give you some kind of compensation for the inconvience of being without your notebook (example: iTunes gift card)

6. Smoothie macrumors 6502

7. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought it from an online authorized reseller. Not sure if I can say the name. I'm pretty sure I have to deal with Apple directly in this case.