busted wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by laidbackliam, Aug 22, 2007.

1. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

so my belkin wireless router just kicked out on me. i'm thinking of buying a used/older model airport extreme. does anyone have any other ideas/thoughts that i should do?

the belkin still works as a router, but not for wireless. have no idea what's going on with it.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What are your needs? Internet only traffic? Media serving? File sharing between Macs? What wireless speeds are your current machines? Any wired requirements?

3. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

have a 1.83 core duo macbook pro
    an old g4 (that's wired in)
    an old dell laptop (wired in, roommate refuses to buy a wireless adapter that supports wpa)
    2.0 core duo macbook

the g4 is a home server, is always on. we use the internet fairly heavily, do a lot of downloading through torrents.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given that your MB and MBP are wireless g and your g4 and dell are probably not gigabit ethernet, then the older extreme would be ideal for your needs.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

6. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

sweet. i just won an ebay auction for the last model airport basestation before they went to the new look/features. 26 bucks. sure beats teh 119. price tag on apple's clearance site.

thanks for your opinions. appreciate it.

7. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

so, i got the airport extreme, the model with PoE. I'm not trying to use the power over ethernet. not yet anyway.

i have everything plugged in, i updated the software. but for some reason, this brand new, out of the box unit, won't light up. it's plugged in. connected to the modem, connected to my server. not connecting to anything though. no network to be found.

any idea's?

8. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE

was a bad power supply. ended up using an old one from a different router. works fine. still going to go to the apple store and ask for a new power supply.

9. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

so as not to start a new thread about it,

i'm connected. the aforementioned server is connected, the macbook is connected.

YET, the dell is not. we have it configured through wep so her wireless adapter should work. it can see the network, and it connects, but nothing happens after that.

anyone have any ideas?

setting it up for the mac was so painless, but for xp it's been nothing but a headache

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Possibly put the Dell on a static IP with the DNS that your ISP recommends. Getting the DNS address should be as easy as going to the ISP homepage and searching.