But an iMac and MacBook Pro, opinions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kyledempster7, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kyledempster7 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm currently a PC user and I have jumped into the apple world fast this past year. I'm loving every minute of it and its time to make the computer switch.

I'm looking into get an iMac and a MacBook Pro. I heard that the MB Pros were just refreshed today so that's great. I was wondering about the iMac though. This site suggests waiting but I think that might be hard to do. (For some reason I really want that iMac!)

Let me know if I over killed or didn't add enough. I am a college student that does a lot with social media. I do use Photoshop (not 24x7). Cores really confuse me so if you have advice on anything I would really appreciate it!

21.5-inch iMac:

Configuration
    2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    Apple Battery Charger

13-inch MacBook Pro

Configuration
    2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    256GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

[​IMG]

2. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I would not recommend buying RAM from Apple, they charge way too much. Plus it is dead simple to install the RAM after market, there is just one screw you unscrew on the bottom of the screen and then you pop the RAM in there. I don't own neither so I can't recommend which RAM to get though.

I would get the iMac. When, if at all, are you going to be carrying around your laptop? No where close to a window or outside I hope because that glossy screen will be bad in those conditions. The iMac also has a quad core and you can have the 1tb drive and SSD with sacrificing the optical drive, like you would have to on the MacBook Pro. The iMac is still a great machine and it will continue to be great next year.

Have you checked this out? It is last year's high end model. Not sure if you need thunderbolt or not, but this outperforms the i5 you are considering and is only a little bit more expensive (both stock).http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-iMac/product~dpno~8811819~pdp.gididgg

3. jmpnop, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

16GB RAM for iMac is overkill, 8GB would be fine. For MBP don't buy RAM and SSD from Apple, they're overpriced. Instead go with Crucial RAM and Intel/OCZ SSD.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd consider just getting the MBP and a monitor. Also, if you're going to upgrade RAM, please don't do it through apple.

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I would add that unless you need mobility, get the iMac, following the advice from previous posters.
    But if you mostly need mobility, I would suggest a larger display MBP, 17" if it's going to become your primary computer. It was my first Mac too, so I know it's not as heavy as some may think. Remember that power can't be taken lightly.
    You'll not regret it. It's the perfect size for the Road Warrior.

7. kyledempster7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm now considering a 27in iMac and a MacBook Air. I could tunderbolt the iMac and Air together if i ever need a larger screen for the Air.

I would like the iMac to be blazing fast. I believe my current computer has 6gb of ram and that doesn't cut it for me. I know some people were saying not to buy ram from Apple, not sure why - price maybe?

Is it bad to have too much ram? (I'm not very good with hardware). If you could add a link to some very good ram that I could buy separately that would be awesome. I read somewhere that people had trouble installing 16gb of ram into their iMac - is that true?

Does a more powerful core help with simple things on the computers? One blurb on apple's store made it seem like the more powerful the core, the faster everything on the comp runs, however, an apple expert said otherwise.

What about graphics card? I plan on watching HD movies at the most - no gaming.

[​IMG]

Please let me know which iMac I should look at and with which components.

8. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Apple RAM's are way overpriced, you can add them manually. I'd recommend you Crucial RAM which costs about $50 for 8GB.

Intel Core i5 will handle HD videos just fine. The 2GB VRAM won't be of any use, even if you game. The second config is good as it is, go with that:)

9. kyledempster7 thread starter macrumors newbie

To get 16gb of ram in the iMac, how much would i have to buy? Sorry if that's a dumb question. It comes with 4 but i wasnt sure if you need to buy a certain size to get to 16gb.

So, you think i should go with the second config in that picture? How much of a drawback would it be if i went with the first. Obviously i save some money with the first one.

10. simsaladimbamba

The iMac comes with 4 memory slots, two slots are used with two 2GB modules, thus you need to buy four 4GB modules to get to 16GB RAM and have two 2GB modules, with what you can't do anything, except keeping them for the time you might have to send/give your iMac to Apple to let it repair.

11. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The first one's sufficient actually, you'll have absolutely no problems:)

12. kyledempster7 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, 4 of these:
    [​IMG]

13. simsaladimbamba

14. jmpnop, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

15. kyledempster7 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop