But what is the Price?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Menel, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

little 38mm one.
    $350 for Aluminum body, Composite back, non-sapphire glass.

$??? for stainless body, ceramic back, sapphire glass

$??? for 18kt gold body, ceramic back, sapphire glass

42mm:
    $??? for Aluminum body, Composite back, non-sapphire glass

$??? for stainless body, ceramic back, sapphire glass

$??? for 18kt gold body, ceramic back, sapphire glass

2. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

It seems like they don't know much about the product themselves... They didn't even announce battery life...

3. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

I would guess $100 diff between sizes with $50 increments between quality so something like:

All speculation of course.

4. rengb6 macrumors newbie

I think the gold versions will easily exceed 1K once the strap is added.

5. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I don't care how much.... I want 1... maybe 2 !!

6. solo118 macrumors 65816

Does the starting price of $350 include a leather strap? Or just the sport/rubber strap?

7. Good User macrumors member

Good User

iPhone 6 and apple watch are reasonably priced

Yes, The price of apple watch is fantastic especially considering the fact that some users here have a total net wealth of 600$, they have bought an iPhone and they just worship the iPhone, now they can put the apple watch beside that iPhone and be even more in pure pleasure, Have a nice day....

8. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

Maybe neither!

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Nah, small vs. large in this case is primarily for Women vs. Men. I'd bet the price is nearly the same and the $349 they are quoting is for the large. More large ones will be sold as more men wear watches than women. Apple is too big to play those pricing games where $349 is for the women's size. They are going to make all their margins on the upsell of multiple bands and gold casings anyway.

10. tagy macrumors regular

Yeah, I was thinking the 2 sizes will be the same or very similar price, I see it more a case of getting the correct size for your wrist than wanting a larger screen.

11. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

You probably don't wanna know...

12. firewood macrumors 604

I'm guessing that the gold one with a metal strap will be a lot more than a couple hundred dollars over the entry level model.

What the market will bear. Remember the long lines and sky high scalper prices for gold iPhones 5s's in China?

13. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

So then small and large are the same price by your logic, or is the starting price actually cheaper than 349 as mentioned by apple? There is no way that the prices are the same, bands are longer/bigger on the large and display is bigger, its more expensive. so 349 for the small.

----------

lol. Its probably the sport small, no saffire display, rubber band, and aluminum. thats apple.

14. firewood macrumors 604

The smaller one is for women, who will pay more for looks, so might even be more expensive than the big one.

15. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Interesting thought... I kind of doubt it just because of apple doing more expensive for big in other products, but the idea could be true

16. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I think that we should probably address this thought upfront before it becomes pervasive in this community and society in general.

While the smaller model may be targeted at women due to the size of their wrists, there is nothing wrong with a male purchasing it. This is the same conversation we had for years about white iPhones being "only for girls". It is a horrible gender stereotype, and we shouldn't fall prey to that kind of thinking.

I'm not saying that you were going there, but just something we should be aware of generally.

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They did - just not the way you might have hoped. They made at least two references to how you charge it at night. That's a strong implication that the battery won't last more than a day

----------

I'd probably prefer a smaller one (Make my arms look bigger!), but realistically my eyes need all the screen size they can get.

18. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

My guess is we will find out more about the apple watch on the ipad keynote on October.. just in time for black friday sales/christmas sales.

i would think

watch starting 349 + cost of bands
    8gb=349
    16gb= 449

sport starting 449 + cost of bands
    8gb= 449
    16gb= 549

edition starting at 549 + cost of bands
    8gb= 549
    16gb= 649

same price for male (larger) and female (smaller) size probably.

19. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

Will there really be storage sizes?
    It seemed to me, it may be like the AppleTV, very little managed, or so little managed space doesn't matter. All streamed from phone. Photos and audio anyway.

And Id expect any apps to be pretty light.

20. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

From the look of it the edition watch is 18 carat gold, not plated. If this is true it won't be less than $1000, probably more.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd probably guess:

38mm
    WATCH Sport - $349
    WATCH - $499
    WATCH Edition - $799

42mm
    WATCH Sport - $449
    WATCH - $599
    WATCH Edition - $899

I think they'll want to keep the whole lineup under $1k, as then that becomes quite a hard sell. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was more, though.

Bands will probably range from about $39-$99, but again, wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit more.

22. itjw macrumors 65816

The irony here is that in the trolling there is a certain element of truth...

A lot of folks (financially speaking) shouldn't even have an iPhone, but are now going to want a $400+ watch to accessorize it. I wonder how long until we see a thread asking about financing options? lol

Just think, now (at a minimum) if a thief sees someone with an Apple watch they know they'll be scoring both the watch AND an iPhone (since they require each other). I wonder if Apple will implement an activation lock for the watch too???

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This, and heavy on the "probably more" part. The 18k gold will be an ultra premium price jump up over the stainless.

24. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Any guesses on price??!

So...
    I know Apple said "starting at $349", but there are soooo many unanswered questions.
    I guess my biggest are:
    Do you think that's with or without the bracelet?
    & If not... how much do you guys think each is going to retail at?
    If yes- do you think you can just "upgrade" to a better one at a discount from buying one at full price?
    I'm a little on the fence about this... a part of me doesn't want to believe that the $349 base price is sans bracelet. However, what other choice do they have?? Give everybody the cheapest & most boring option?? That doesn't jive right with the idea of having a myriad of options either.
    My guess is that of the bracelet choices, they'll take the bottom few & make them the "free" options, & then have either the full prices, if you want a second.. or upgrade prices if you want a nicer one.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

The $349 version will be the Sport with the plastic band and no ceramic or sapphire. The other versions will be hundreds or thousands more. I think Gruber is right. He might have gotten some controlled leaks from Apple in order to set expectations.