But what is the Price?

Menel

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
little 38mm one.
$350 for Aluminum body, Composite back, non-sapphire glass.

$??? for stainless body, ceramic back, sapphire glass

$??? for 18kt gold body, ceramic back, sapphire glass

42mm:
$??? for Aluminum body, Composite back, non-sapphire glass

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
little 38mm one.
$350 for Aluminum body, Composite back, non-sapphire glass.

42mm:
$??? for Aluminum body, Composite back, non-sapphire glass

It seems like they don't know much about the product themselves... They didn't even announce battery life...

gescom

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I would guess $100 diff between sizes with $50 increments between quality so something like:

All speculation of course.

rengb6

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
I think the gold versions will easily exceed 1K once the strap is added.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Does the starting price of $350 include a leather strap? Or just the sport/rubber strap?

Good User

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
iPhone 6 and apple watch are reasonably priced

Yes, The price of apple watch is fantastic especially considering the fact that some users here have a total net wealth of 600$, they have bought an iPhone and they just worship the iPhone, now they can put the apple watch beside that iPhone and be even more in pure pleasure, Have a nice day....

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I would guess $100 diff between sizes
Nah, small vs. large in this case is primarily for Women vs. Men. I'd bet the price is nearly the same and the $349 they are quoting is for the large. More large ones will be sold as more men wear watches than women. Apple is too big to play those pricing games where $349 is for the women's size. They are going to make all their margins on the upsell of multiple bands and gold casings anyway.

tagy

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
UK
Yeah, I was thinking the 2 sizes will be the same or very similar price, I see it more a case of getting the correct size for your wrist than wanting a larger screen.

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'm guessing that the gold one with a metal strap will be a lot more than a couple hundred dollars over the entry level model.

What the market will bear. Remember the long lines and sky high scalper prices for gold iPhones 5s's in China?

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Nah, small vs. large in this case is primarily for Women vs. Men. I'd bet the price is nearly the same and the $349 they are quoting is for the large. More large ones will be sold as more men wear watches than women. Apple is too big to play those pricing games where $349 is for the women's size. They are going to make all their margins on the upsell of multiple bands and gold casings anyway.
So then small and large are the same price by your logic, or is the starting price actually cheaper than 349 as mentioned by apple? There is no way that the prices are the same, bands are longer/bigger on the large and display is bigger, its more expensive. so 349 for the small.

----------

Maybe neither!
lol. Its probably the sport small, no saffire display, rubber band, and aluminum. thats apple.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The smaller one is for women, who will pay more for looks, so might even be more expensive than the big one.
I think that we should probably address this thought upfront before it becomes pervasive in this community and society in general.

While the smaller model may be targeted at women due to the size of their wrists, there is nothing wrong with a male purchasing it. This is the same conversation we had for years about white iPhones being "only for girls". It is a horrible gender stereotype, and we shouldn't fall prey to that kind of thinking.

I'm not saying that you were going there, but just something we should be aware of generally.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It seems like they don't know much about the product themselves... They didn't even announce battery life...
They did - just not the way you might have hoped. They made at least two references to how you charge it at night. That's a strong implication that the battery won't last more than a day

----------

While the smaller model may be targeted at women due to the size of their wrists, there is nothing wrong with a male purchasing it. This is the same conversation we had for years about white iPhones being "only for girls". It is a horrible gender stereotype, and we shouldn't fall prey to that kind of thinking.
I'd probably prefer a smaller one (Make my arms look bigger!), but realistically my eyes need all the screen size they can get.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
My guess is we will find out more about the apple watch on the ipad keynote on October.. just in time for black friday sales/christmas sales.

i would think

watch starting 349 + cost of bands
8gb=349
16gb= 449

sport starting 449 + cost of bands
8gb= 449
16gb= 549

edition starting at 549 + cost of bands
8gb= 549
16gb= 649

same price for male (larger) and female (smaller) size probably.

Menel

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Will there really be storage sizes?
It seemed to me, it may be like the AppleTV, very little managed, or so little managed space doesn't matter. All streamed from phone. Photos and audio anyway.

And Id expect any apps to be pretty light.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
My guess is we will find out more about the apple watch on the ipad keynote on October.. just in time for black friday sales/christmas sales.

i would think

watch starting 349 + cost of bands
8gb=349
16gb= 449

sport starting 449 + cost of bands
8gb= 449
16gb= 549

edition starting at 549 + cost of bands
8gb= 549
16gb= 649

same price for male (larger) and female (smaller) size probably.
From the look of it the edition watch is 18 carat gold, not plated. If this is true it won't be less than $1000, probably more.

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'd probably guess:

38mm
WATCH Sport - $349
WATCH - $499
WATCH Edition - $799

42mm
WATCH Sport - $449
WATCH - $599
WATCH Edition - $899

I think they'll want to keep the whole lineup under $1k, as then that becomes quite a hard sell. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was more, though.

Bands will probably range from about $39-$99, but again, wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit more.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yes, The price of apple watch is fantastic especially considering the fact that some users here have a total net wealth of 600$, they have bought an iPhone and they just worship the iPhone, now they can put the apple watch beside that iPhone and be even more in pure pleasure, Have a nice day....
The irony here is that in the trolling there is a certain element of truth...

A lot of folks (financially speaking) shouldn't even have an iPhone, but are now going to want a $400+ watch to accessorize it. I wonder how long until we see a thread asking about financing options? lol

Just think, now (at a minimum) if a thief sees someone with an Apple watch they know they'll be scoring both the watch AND an iPhone (since they require each other). I wonder if Apple will implement an activation lock for the watch too???

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
From the look of it the edition watch is 18 carat gold, not plated. If this is true it won't be less than $1000, probably more.
This, and heavy on the "probably more" part. The 18k gold will be an ultra premium price jump up over the stainless.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Any guesses on price??!

So...
I know Apple said "starting at $349", but there are soooo many unanswered questions.
I guess my biggest are:
Do you think that's with or without the bracelet?
& If not... how much do you guys think each is going to retail at?
If yes- do you think you can just "upgrade" to a better one at a discount from buying one at full price?
I'm a little on the fence about this... a part of me doesn't want to believe that the $349 base price is sans bracelet. However, what other choice do they have?? Give everybody the cheapest & most boring option?? That doesn't jive right with the idea of having a myriad of options either.
My guess is that of the bracelet choices, they'll take the bottom few & make them the "free" options, & then have either the full prices, if you want a second.. or upgrade prices if you want a nicer one.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
The $349 version will be the Sport with the plastic band and no ceramic or sapphire. The other versions will be hundreds or thousands more. I think Gruber is right. He might have gotten some controlled leaks from Apple in order to set expectations.