But why not buy now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by losthobbit, Jul 15, 2008.

1. losthobbit macrumors newbie

With the release of 2.0, I would think now would be the time to buy an iPod touch if you were in the market. But, as I watch the Buyer's Guide, I find out that now is in fact not a good time to buy. Why not? I've been waiting for a while (saving up) and am really looking forward to buying. Is this "don't buy now" advice just telling us that an update is coming in September (maybe)? I don't want to wait if I don't have to.

Advice??

2. tango906 macrumors newbie

tango906

I'm in the same boat--waiting for iPod Touch pricing to come down to compete with the lower iPhone pricing (unless the AT&T pricing makes up for that which would null en void the savings). I probably will wait until September anyway but I'd like to pick one up soon...

Thanks.

3. chewbacca390 macrumors member

I'm in this same boat...I wanna wait for a price cut or something at least. How long we talkin?

4. amusiccale macrumors 6502

closest thing to a price cut is the $199 refurb 8gb model..it was enough for me--I won't be somewhere that I could have a computer/ipod delivered during the school year

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Apple traditionally overhauls its entire iPod line in the fall, getting ready for the Christmas season. So you may indeed be disappointed if you buy a touch now only to see it updated in two months. But you would have had it for those two months, and it will continue to function quite well after that.

I expect at a minimum a price cut and a faster CPU. Bluetooth and/or GPS would be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath for those.

6. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

The age old technology purchase decision...

There will always be something newer, faster, cheaper, more full featured right around the bend. It's always agonizing buying something that has been out for a while, not knowing when the replacement is coming out or what it will have in it.

7. ervabu macrumors newbie

ervabu

I thought about waiting too, but went ahead and got one last week. Don't try to out-wait technology, it's always six months ahead. ;)

8. bleighty macrumors newbie

compared to other entertainment devices, the touch is miles ahead..

another version coming out? i'd assume so .. but it does not lessen the greatness of the current one.

the saving to buy the next best thing is something ive done but in retrospect i always kick myself for missing out on the fun earlier.

9. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

well i am selling my iPhone to make the most of the unlocked price on eBay.

i was going to replace it with a refurb 16 GB iPod touch, but I can wait til september..

lets all hope for at least a price drop!

10. losthobbit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input. I guess the question is...what sort of updates do I think will honestly come in Septermber(ish)? I doubt they are anything that I'll kick myself for.

Thanks.

11. dark-saito macrumors regular

The only LIKELY thing is a new back (but really will you wait for a new back?) No camera, no bluetooth, no mic should be expected. it could happen but chances are slim to none. Reasons for this are 1) Apple Just updated it's iPhone and the only real upgrades are GPS and iPhone 2.0 (which you can chose to get for the Touch.)

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I disagree -- I think there's going to be a faster CPU, just like in the iPhone. That's important for all apps that are now available on the touch.

13. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I would suggest waiting until September. It's pretty obvious that there'll be a software update to compromise with the current app store issue right now. People getting bugs everywhere and there sure will be a better version. And i believe that an original 2.x.x ipod touch is deffinitely better than an 2.x.x updated touch from 1.1.x .

Also, rumor has it that Apple will destroy the 8GB touch line and sell the 16GB touch for $299 or so i've heard.

As for my prediction, i'm pretty positive that Apple will do something to improve the touch battery or something like that. I also expect some new features will be added to the design, but not the scratchy back (maybe a side volume buttons? ).

14. superloud macrumors newbie

As others have said, it's pretty much a sure thing that there's going to be an update before December. With the back to school iPod sale ending in September, I personally think the whole iPod line is going to see a refresh sometime in September (just take a look at the MacRumors buyer's guide).

So I don't think we're talking 6 months. I think it's going to be more like 2 months tops. That's why I say wait. 2 months goes by really fast.

15. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Yeah, seriously. I'd be so pissed if i buy the touch now just to see a price drop with some cool features on the new touch 2 months later. I'm cheap. :p

16. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I thought I'd read that the CPU in the new iPhone was the same as in the original, as far as anyone could tell.

I think it's more common speculation than source-based rumor (regardless of source) that the price points will change. Of course, that's a nearly meaningless distinction I just made. I concur with your prediction that the battery will improve, at the very least. No sure about the side buttons, and I wouldn't put it past them to add a scratch-tastic back. :)

17. losthobbit thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of cool features are we talking about? I don't think side volume buttons are really a reason to wait. Maybe I'm just naive about these things, but it doesn't seem like 2 months is going to get me a ton of new stuff that I'll be kicking myself for. Famous last words, probably. Ha.

I still don't know, but thanks for all the advice. What are the reasons to buy now?

18. superloud macrumors newbie

I'm holding out for more memory in the next touch (i.e. 64GB).
    I just bought a 8GB USB memory stick for $30, so memory is obviously getting cheap enough. And for the purpose that the touch is supposed to serve - which is hold your music AND your videos, 32GB just isn't really going to be enough. I have a 3 year old 30GB ipod classic and it's almost full. That's why I can't pull the trigger on a 32GB touch knowing that it won't keep me going another 3 years.

On that note, how long do you want to own your touch? To me, the question of - wait 2 months to get something better that you'll keep for 3 years - is a no brainer.