But will Outlook 2011 sync?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

You know the old saying, "Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!" 98% of the time that is true for me except for Mail / iCal / Address Book. It annoys me to no end that Apple separated these functions. I *really* miss MS Outlook for the simple fact that all these activities are intertwined in 1 program not 3.

For this reason, the new Office for Mac coming out next month has got me, dare I say, exited.

Until, that is, I realized that one of things I really love is that if I add a contact or calendar entry on my iPhone, using Mobile Me it automagically syncs with my MacPro and my MacBook Pro - no muss, no fuss. Update one device and the other two are good to go.

Now, I'm worried that if I switch to Outlook I'll lose the ability to sync across my devices. Does anyone know if the coming version of Outlook will let me retain the core ability to sync email, contacts and calendar entries?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you use SyncService within Outlook, it should sync up with Address Book.

3. n0de macrumors 6502

Yes Outlook 2011 has the same type of sync services as Entourage. As a quick warning though, it does not use MAPI for Exchange anymore, this means no more OWA connection to exchange (requires Exchange 2007 sp2) or higher. :(

4. Avlor macrumors newbie

As of now (beta 6), the new Outlook supports syncing contacts, but not calendars! As a recent convert from Windows, I'm kinda in big trouble with this as I keep all my calendar events in Outlook and like it that way, but iTunes on mac gives you no option to sync with Outlook. Probably it will be ironed out until the final release, but for now I have to stick with iCal for the calendar. If anybody has a good sync solution between Outlook and iCal/iPhone, please advise

5. alagrad94 macrumors newbie

Temporary Work Around

So, the developers say that sync to iCal is eventually coming through a pushed update. I have discovered a relatively easy work around until that point. It's a pain and we shouldn't have to do it, but such is life.

If you open your Outlook Calendar and iCal next to each other, you can drag and drop from Outlook to iCal, sort of a manual sync. Only catch I found is you have to drag and drop onto the correct day. It transfers the time info correctly, but it will alter the date to whatever day you drop it onto.

6. owen23rd macrumors newbie

Drag and drop doesn't work or me

If you open your Outlook Calendar and iCal next to each other, you can drag and drop from Outlook to iCal, sort of a manual sync. Only catch I found is you have to drag and drop onto the correct day. It transfers the time info correctly, but it will alter the date to whatever day you drop it onto.[/QUOTE]

I am not having any luck dragging and dropping to the date. I have to do it to the start time. Any advice?

7. belltree macrumors 6502

Is there any viable solution yet to sync Outlook 2011 with iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad aside from going through iCal and AddressBook?

8. jms969 macrumors 6502

There will be a service pack in the 1st half of 2011 that will add this functionality. Unfortunately it is a long wait...

9. jeffreywhite macrumors newbie

Wish I new Outlook 2011 didn't sync with iCal before I upgraded.

Man. This is a big bummer!!!! They should have worked on calendar syncing before contact syncing! I have calendar updates everyday in comparison to contact updates once a month. I guess I am locked in now.

Jeffrey Austin White
    Founder of Flash Card Maker Pro
    Android apps Developer
    Flashcard Enthusiast
    Flashcard Maker in the Digital World

10. Seabright macrumors newbie

Cannot Sync Outlook 2011 calendar with iPhone

This is a significant black mark against an otherwise excellent software suite - Office 2011 for Mac. I could sink my Entourage calendar with my iPhone - never dreamed it would stop working when I upgraded to Office Mac 2011. We need a fix now, not next year! Frustrated in Canada.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It will be available sometime in the new year. Plans were to integrate it into Service Pack 1, however there is such overwhelming and understandable demand that the chances are it will surface alongside the release of the 'trail' version in late January.

12. kevwells macrumors newbie

No sync to ical is pure Microsoft stupidity

its UNREAL that they dont have this feature. How can you release a product that moves BACKWARDS in terms of functionality? I love the mac but I see the flaws in it and I'm no fan boy but OMG....Microsoft is so brain dead as to beggar the imagination.

As if Entourage wasnt bad enough---now we have the developmentally delayed all "NEW!!!" Outlook which fails to do one of three important things that every business user expects. No Sync? Oh Well. Get a Windows 7 phone!!

I'm switching back to Mac mail (with its owns flaws to be sure) because MS has just done another epic fail.

Irritated in MA

13. ACCSanchez macrumors newbie

Hope timeframe IS January!

I just got off the phone with Apple Support.

I'm a new Macbook owner and this was the first time I was opening iTunes to sync with my iPhone. I imported my Outlook 2007 data into Outlook for Mac 2011. I didn't see an option to sync with Outlook via iTunes as I had previously done on my Windows machine. I submitted a question to Support to find out if iTunes was not yet compatible with Outlook for Mac 2011, thinking it was an iTunes problem.

The Apple Support guy told me that there are plans to make this work without having to intermediately go through trying to sync with the Mac applications (contacts, iCal) but that he didn't have any specific timeframe. He also told me that MobileMe doesn't sync with Outlook for Mac 2011 either. On further investigation (as has been mentioned on this forum), I see that Outlook for Mac will only sync the contacts anyway.

AND I'm reading from this forum that the ball is in Microsoft's court, not Apple's.

I really hope the MS service pack comes out soon! I'm stuck with no way to sync my calendar! (Trying to search to see if I can go through Google Calendar, but not crossing my fingers.)

This is so aggravating b/c I'm moving backward when I was so excited to be moving TO a Mac!:confused:

14. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I totally feel you in your frustration. I have to use outlook, ical, omnifocus (for GTDs) for my needs. Outlook 2010 on Windows syncs perfectly with mobileme... -_-

Looks like I will be using windows 7 for a bit.

15. bgrant4 macrumors newbie

Outlook 2011 Another dead end for workforce productivity

rt @bryangrant Outlook 2011 Another dead end for workforce productivity. http://bit.ly/esoiZ5

This post covers most of the mobile devices.. and short answer is NO. In general, Outlook 2011 is a dead end if you want to sync to anything besides Exchange.

16. belltree macrumors 6502

Any linkage regarding said information?

17. DMGage macrumors newbie

Need Help! New MacBook Air with MSOffice 2011

I have just converted from a PC to Mac. I paid $200 for the Office Suite and I cannot believe I cannot synch with Outlook. I have a MobileMe account an iPad and iPhone. Are there any other work arounds to synch my calendar and contacts with Outlook via MobileMe? Sorry, as you can see from my profile I'm a Mac Newbie :)

18. kamaaina macrumors newbie

http://blog.officeformac.com/outlook-for-mac-and-your-calendars/

It's very sad ... Looking for options as well. 1and1.com (hosting) provides an Exchange Email account for $7/month that might work, I might test that, but seems only one exchange mail account per hosting account. So it would be me or my wife, but not both?? WTF! Also nothing talks about MacOffice 2011 there on their website. :(

19. cwverburg macrumors newbie

disapointed

Longtime Mac user and Microsoft Office user.
    Very disappointed that Calendar sync with outlook11 is not included from go.
    We really need these things at work. Not later in the year.
    Common Microsoft, how hard can it be?
    :(

20. ChrisSmith, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

ChrisSmith macrumors newbie

ChrisSmith

Sync mac outlook 2011

Hi there!

Unfortunately, as with some past new versions of Office for Mac,Outlook 2011 can't sync calendar data with iCal. This isn't much of a problem -- unless you're one of tens of millions of iPhone and iPad users and you depend on calendar syncing. Which seems to me you are one of those ;)

Hope this helps ;) take care and have a nice day.

21. Kingdaddy macrumors newbie

Can't believe MS hasn't fixed the sync problem yet

Not only that, there are MANY other bugs in Outlook 2011. By far, it is the worst program out of Office 2011.

Don't get me wrong, I love Outlook, 2007 and 2010, but HATE 2011. :mad:

Microsoft blew it in many ways with that product. As a business user, it is really killing my productivity.

And why is it that Outlook Contacts, MobileMe, and Address book can't all sync nicely? I always have problems with my data moving around and getting screwed up. So much so I had to cancel Outlook sync. Apple support told me they are not supporting 2011 yet.

22. Time Rider macrumors newbie

I'm using Office for Mac 2011 in trial and surprised that iTunes on Mac does not sync with Outlook 2011. Is there a way to sync Outlook Notes to somewhere in Mac? Besides, what's wrong with Office 2011 that you commented it the worst program? What are the bugs (I need to avoid them!)?

23. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, "late January" turned into "late February" which has turned into "late March" and still nothing!

MS is coming up on 6 months since the initial release and this has to be one of the most requested features not included in roll-out. What's up? On top of that, this is something that would probably influence more people to buy the product who've been holding out rather than little bug fixes which effect small numbers of users and would have no influence on sales.

24. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Having just switched to a Mac from a PC I was looking forward to using Outlook for the Mac since I loved Outlook 2010 on my PC Laptop and how everything synced beautifully with MobileMe.

I have the trial version of Office and I have to say I have not seen a worse incarnation of Outlook in more than 15 years of using Outlook.

I think I will stick with using OmniFocus for tasks; iCal or BusyCal for Calendar and the other individual programs to sync my iPhone/iPad and Mac all together.

I have not had one issue syncing via MobileMe since I got my Mac using the above mentioned programs.

I guess it's time to put Microsoft Office to rest.

25. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Just had the duplicate (multiple) calendar entry issue again today (I've had it for years actually but someone's birthday reminder occurred 17 times today and I'm fuming!). It reminded me to check (yet again) if there is the LONG awaited update to allow syncing between Outlook 2011, iCal and MobileMe. No, there isn't. This MOST important omitted feature still isn't rectified. This is what gives Apple a bad name and gives the PC users ammunition for their "Apple machines are just toys" criticisms. I know in reality it's a Microsoft omission, but surely Apple could have done something to prevent MS from selling this piece of junk, at least until such bog standard features are available. Worst of all, Apple have it featured in their own marketing! And why is there such a delay in providing the update?

If only Apple would integrate iCal, Mail and Contacts - then I would be happy to stick with them and put Office where it belongs - in the trash!