Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
it's interesting bc I feel there's two different general builds of rMB keyboard, a clicky one which is what I've always felt mine was, and a mushy one that feels more like a scissor than butterfly mechanism but with butterfly nudge, that may honestly be more prevalent

but just got a nTB 13" and the keyboard side by side is absolutely punchier. comically loud starting off like I'm mashing the keys hard when barely pressing, but I think after a few hours of typing its either quieted down a bit (or my typing has adjusted, and/or I'm getting used to it I dunno)

it begs the question if there's different builds of 2016 keyboards, somewhere I read the TB isn't as clicky as nTB but that may be isolated and anecdotal. just throwing it out there that its not an impossibility of random variation (independent of nTB or TB), since the retro retinas had different build keyboards in my experience too.

but it's something I prefer, to my rMB keyboard, in any case. doesn't render my rMB useless by any means but my take is this-

if you loathe butterfly, I can see how you would group this into the same as v1 i.e. no changes even though that isn't the case,

but if you are amenable to butterfly, just felt it needed a little more finesse, this may be your ticket

and if you like rMB keyboard, I can't see how you wouldn't like this (again barring the initially smacking noises that are comical, but seem to have subsided), its punchiness translates to slightly more key travel feeling, but not key travel to the extent of now retro retina pro's, of course, that visually stand tall

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
it seems theres a lot of varying opinions of v2 butterfly, so I was excited to actually put it to the test!

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Totally on point, I just got mine and was expecting it to be just like my MacBook, and this feels like it has more travel and is less high-pitched clicky noise. Much more dull (less annoying) sounding.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I have the new MBP and the keyboard is noticeably better than the ones on the MacBooks. I thoroughly enjoy typing on this one, it has just the right amount of click and travel to feel comfortable to me. It is admittedly loud but I'm used to striking the keys hard when I type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.