Button fell off --- PIC

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iamKamil, Mar 28, 2010.

1. iamKamil macrumors member

iamKamil

Hello fellow iPhone owners. One of my buttons fell off and I cannot find it and my warranty ran out in November, so how do I get this fixed? Is this possible to do yourself? Any help is appreciated.

On a side note, it looks like the button was only glued on which seems cheaply made to me.

[​IMG]

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this is common

take to apple store and see what they say

3. iamKamil thread starter macrumors member

iamKamil

The phone is jailbroken....will this be a problem? I only have the backgrounder on it so it looks totally normal.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well restore it before you take it in

5. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

If all you have is backgrounder you can use Poof to hide the icon. But they may replace it for a button.

6. iamKamil thread starter macrumors member

iamKamil

I'll restore the phone before bringing it back.... :-(

7. EricJD macrumors regular

When my iPhone's vibrate switch fell off, I took it into an Apple Store and they replaced the phone no questions asked. I'd say just go in and see what they say. :)

8. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

They'll definitely replace that. Happened to me, they just made sure that I didn't take it off intentionally. They realized that it really just fell off, they gave me a refurbished phone.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

even if out of warranty?

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Even if the warranty has ran out, they will just replace it?

11. iamKamil thread starter macrumors member

iamKamil

If they'll replace it for me then I will be truly impressed with Apple. Heck, if this will be the case I'll even upgrade to the new phone coming out in July (my intentions were to get the HTC EVO).

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'd be more impressed if they made a phone where the buttons didn't fall off, but that's just me. Or if they'd found a way to correct this common problem.

It's not like the 2G's silent switch made a habit of falling off. It's just poor design/materials.

13. Xibalba macrumors 6502

Xibalba

ha - you should probably just get whichever phone will serve your needs the most - regardless of what comes from your "button" situation...

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

those *******s told me it was my fault and they wouldn't cover it.

15. iamKamil thread starter macrumors member

iamKamil

Did you have a case on it when you brought it to the store? I'm wondering whether I should take mine off...I'm afraid they'll blame it on the case even though it has nothing to do with the button falling off.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No. I had the exact same button break.

I had to send mine into a 3rd party repair company to fix it. They charged me about $30, I think.

17. iamKamil thread starter macrumors member

iamKamil

Do you have the details on this? Thanks

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmm, maybe I was wrong. It looks like it was $45. But google around, there are lots of places that do that stuff. Maybe some of them are cheaper.

But that site I linked to worked fine. If you Fed-Ex it to them overnight they'll fix it and send it out the day they got it. So you'll have it back in about 2 days, which isn't too bad.

20. iamKamil thread starter macrumors member

iamKamil

Thanks. I might actually be able to do this myself. I just called up apple and they said they will not replace it but can give me a new phone for 199 bucks if I turn this one in. So, if I mess this up, I'll just bring in the phone and get a new one for 199.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ip...essories&_odkw=iphone+button&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

I did make an appointment @ Apple for tomorrow at 2:30. We'll see what they say. I'll be going to the one right next to my work...it's opened 24 hours.

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I took mine off. It would seem that either way the button is recessed so there should be no potential for it to do anything but just fall off.

I placed some glue on the button until it fell off again and finally got lost.

Maybe if you leave it in the case they'll see that the case protects that button at least a bit.

22. iphone529 macrumors regular

Let me know what happens, My button just fell off also, I have been out of warranty for a while now. Would be sweet if apple would replace this.

23. iamKamil thread starter macrumors member

iamKamil

Went in to the store on 5th Ave in NYC and it was a ZOOOOOOO in there. I didn't have to wait long since I made the appointment ahead of time. The girl took a look at my phone and said that I was 130 days out of warranty and there is nothing they can do. I shrugged it off and just went back to work.

On a side note, I'll end up buying the button on ebay and doing it myself.....

24. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Eh, just save your money, don't buy the button, and wait till June to buy the iPhone 3GS HD LMNOP when it gets released

25. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

What's the point of restoring before you take it in if your warranty is already expired?
    Unless you have AppleCare...