Button held down on keyboard; think it's a software issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ktor84, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ktor84 macrumors newbie

Hello! I apologize if this has been addressed in a thread elsewhere.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (i7, 15"), with Snow Leopard. Recently I noticed that if I leave the computer on for a little bit, it will start holding down a button. (It seems to always be the "O" button so far.)

I take pristine care of my keyboard, and use the compact air regularly, so I don't believe it's a hardware issue. Also, it seems to be fine if I restart it.

I've repaired permissions, installed system updates, and checked for viruses.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Back-Up and Restore your OS back to a fresh Install? Assuming you have a Snow Leopard Disk, so whack it in and re-install :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does sound like a hardware issue, with an intermittently stuck key.
    Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate, as in this case. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues and doesn't relate at all to your issue.
    You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.