Button to circuit board

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jameskw, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jameskw macrumors newbie

Hi, my home button began to fail and when I opened the Ipod Touch 2nd Gen what looks like the the metal piece that connects the button to the circuit board came out... I'm a fairly good at soldering so I'm wondering if this is fixable or not, I cant see where on the circuit board It connects to, any ideas?

James

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I wouldn't recommend trying this, but this is probably the teardown you're looking for. Skip to Step 12 if you want an idea of the Home Button assembly before you tear it open.

3. jameskw thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, looks like its connecting to the pathway left of the spring? anyone think this is possible to solder? its pretty micro..

4. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I don't think it has any solders, if that's what you're asking.

5. jameskw thread starter macrumors newbie

but then how is the home button connected to the circuit? :\ maybe im confused

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It appears that it's on a separate pressure mechanism, and then when pressed, contacts on the button itself complete the circuit.

7. jameskw thread starter macrumors newbie

8. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

The alloy used solder the boards on the Touch is not anything that will mix with any solder you can purchase, so soldering it will only give you cold solder joints. Sent it to one of the repair places like Digiexpress and have it repaired properly.

9. jameskw, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

jameskw thread starter macrumors newbie

"The alloy used solder the boards on the Touch is not anything that will mix with any solder you can purchase, so soldering it will only give you cold solder joints. Sent it to one of the repair places like Digiexpress and have it repaired properly. "

anyone know how they fix it? :)
    or and alternative fix?
    im thinking about jailbreaking it and putting a virtual home on it