Buy-13" April 2010 or 13" March 2011 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by erickj, Mar 8, 2011.

  1. erickj macrumors regular

    May 9, 2008
    Hey, recently moved and can no longer house my 2010 21" iMac and need more space and wireless options. I also have a mid-2008 2.4Ghz 15" MacBook Pro. I'm going to sell both and get a new system, just one total and use wireless to hook-up to an external HD to access files. Cost isn't my biggest factor, as I'm selling what I have to buy new and hoping to pocket a little extra.

    Looking at the 13" MacBook Pros. You can get a refurb. 2010 (either model) for 929.00(2.4Ghz) or 1019.00 (2.66Ghz) right now. Or I can go brand new for 1199.00 and 1499.00 respectively. Just wondering what everyone thinks the best options might be.

    What I do: email, iPhoto, iTunes, web, chat, Word, movies, etc. I do not do any type of gaming (other than angry birds) or coding or anything like that. My computers are lifestyle machines, not work machines. I'm not opposed to refurb at all, but I also want to know if I sell in 2 or 3 years that I'm gonna get a decent return, hence my thought on buying the newest model.
  2. yyc engineer macrumors newbie

    Dec 6, 2010
    if you're trying to save money get the 2010 base (or 2009 - its on the refurb store every couple days) otherwise if you're trying to get a computer that's the most future proof get the base 2011.

    Either a) get a refurb and save some $$ or b) get the latest and greatest and be happy for the next 4+ years (My 2007 White macbook is still running perfectly)
  3. csjcsj macrumors member


    Feb 15, 2011
    La Jolla, CA
    if you are worried about selling, then the newer machine, the better the payoff. But even then, the money you'll get for a used computer is probably way lower than you want unless you go on ebay & offer to ship internationally. If you want the lifestyle machine, you might try out the Air instead.
  4. erickj thread starter macrumors regular

    May 9, 2008

    Thanks for the notes, I think I'm going to get the refurb 13" 2.4Ghz for 929.00. I figure I'll be able to get about 800.00 out of it in 2 years. Hopefully. Although the AIR is calling too. Just not sure if the 2.66Ghz refurb with 70 gig bigger HD is worth it, at only 90 bucks more.
  5. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030


    May 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd either do 13" MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) or 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2011). I was originally saving up for the former, but when word of the tech specs of its successor [the current 13" MacBook Pro (Early 2011)] started flooding the MacRumors articles a month or so before release, I realized that (a) I was too late on the Mid 2010 refresh to make it a good buy and that it made more sense to wait for the refresh and (b) the 15" MacBook Pro, in terms of specs, at least given the current line-up, is a much better buy.
  6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000


    Jun 20, 2010
    Twin Cities
    I would focus on getting the best processor and size combo for your needs. RAM and Hard drives can be easily upgraded.

Share This Page