Buy 13" MBP Now or Wait Until June?

Mizzou02RS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
83
0
Hi there...

I have been looking at the MBP line and like the 13" model to replace my older MacBook. The thing is, I am reading that Apple is going to upgrade the MBP line within a month or so. My main uses for my laptop are web surfing, writing, iPhoto, iTunes and the occasional use of Photoshop. Do you think I should wait until June to see the new MBP models or pop on a current model now?

Thanks!
 

nars1l

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
26
0
The "2012 Macbook Pro Redesign" thread has alot of good info on this, though it's become a bit pedantic as of late.

I think the general consensus around here will come to this:

For what you said you want a computer for, the current Macbook Pro will serve you just fine. It's a design that has been out for years, thus all the bugs and manufacturing glitches have been ironed out by now, and you won't be disappointed with it.

However, there are many signs that point to a new redesign of the Macbook Pro coming out in a few weeks. Apple usually has its **** together for launches, so there won't be any glaring problems with the new model, and it is most likely to be thinner, slightly more powerful (which won't actually make a difference to you based on your uses), and it will have that shiny new feeling that all your friends will be jealous about.

Personally, I've been waiting for the next Macbook Pro for quite a few months now. The current models are not quite powerful enough for my uses (I want a 13" that can do light gaming, which is an area in which the new MBP will show substantial improvement over current models) and I want a thinner form factor.

So, in short, either would do you fine. I'd personally wait, but that's because I like having the newest thing. You should spend a half hour or so getting acquainted with the current Macbook Pro via Apple's website, or at your local electronics store, and then spend a half an hour reading through the rumors posted recently on the front page of MacRumors on 5/14, which basically summarize the changes that we can expect to see in the next model.
 

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
1,236
13
I'm waiting and from what you have written you should consider doing the same.

If the new models don't float your cork you can snag a previous-generation MBP at a savings. Most of my Macs have been previous-generation; I've saved up to 50%. The best deals are at college bookstores that purchase a quantity of discontinued Macs.
 
Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
2,985
3
If you think a new model is coming out in a few weeks, why in god's name would you buy a soon-to-be older model now?

I really don't understand these threads.
 

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
3,257
1
Oh, yes buy one now. It's always fun buying aging, expensive tech a week before it's completely outdated. Its just fun. I do it all the time. But I wait until launch day and just get in under the wire. You need to be quick as the Apple store will go offline after the presentation, so you need to buy one before that. I've gotten great results this way.

YMMV
 

Suno

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
252
0
Hi there...

I have been looking at the MBP line and like the 13" model to replace my older MacBook. The thing is, I am reading that Apple is going to upgrade the MBP line within a month or so. My main uses for my laptop are web surfing, writing, iPhoto, iTunes and the occasional use of Photoshop. Do you think I should wait until June to see the new MBP models or pop on a current model now?

Thanks!
For you, I would say it doesn't matter. The small performance boost, as well as the few "extra" features (possible retina, USB 3.0, etc.) aren't worth the wait, especially for your use. So honestly it's totally up to you, my opinion being that you'll be happy regardless of your choice, but if I -HAD- to give you a choice I'd say just get it now.
 

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
185
0
You really should wait; The new MBP will probably be announced on June 11, which is less than 3 weeks from now. Remeber: It will probably will be lighter, stronger and better - so wait.
 

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
2,771
1,396
Scotland
If you need to purchase one now then buy one and don't sweat it. If you can hold off a month then it makes sense to hold off and see what the new one brings and of course you will likely have the opportunity to pick up a current one @ discount if you hold off.
 

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
1,490
0
For you, I would say it doesn't matter. The small performance boost, as well as the few "extra" features (possible retina, USB 3.0, etc.) aren't worth the wait, especially for your use. So honestly it's totally up to you, my opinion being that you'll be happy regardless of your choice, but if I -HAD- to give you a choice I'd say just get it now.
For resale value alone, it's better to wait.
 

Mirswith

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
7
0
I just pulled the trigger on a 17" MBP (out for delivery now!!), and am completely satisfied with my choice of buying now. That being said...it's all your choice. Do you need the extra performance? Do you have that "need" for the latest and greatest? You'll be happy either way....
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
65,888
32,205
Boston
If you need one now, then get it, but in about 3 weeks apple should be unveiling their new MBP models at their World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC)

I recommend waiting if at all possible. While your usage indicates the current line would fulfill your needs, why spend over a thousand dollars on technology that is about to get replaced.
 

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
6,963
91
Poole, England
If you need one now, then get it, but in about 3 weeks apple should be unveiling their new MBP models at their World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC)

I recommend waiting if at all possible. While your usage indicates the current line would fulfill your needs, why spend over a thousand dollars on technology that is about to get replaced.
Never mind the fact that the 2011 model will be a lot cheaper as a refurb when the new models come out, if you still want a 2011 model.
 

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
2,708
1,345
If you think a new model is coming out in a few weeks, why in god's name would you buy a soon-to-be older model now?

I really don't understand these threads.
If all someone does is browse the web, type up some documents, and play around in iPhoto there really is no point in waiting. A newer machine is not going to provide much of a noticeable bump for those types of tasks. In fact....OP would probably be better served saving some $$ and getting something from the refurb store.
 

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
2,771
1,396
Scotland
If all someone does is browse the web, type up some documents, and play around in iPhoto there really is no point in waiting. A newer machine is not going to provide much of a noticeable bump for those types of tasks. In fact....OP would probably be better served saving some $$ and getting something from the refurb store.
But if you are buying new and the updated machine will retail at the same price then it is surely worth holding off and getting what will essentially be a free upgrade of specs regardless of what it is capable of...
 

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
6,498
9
Hamilton, Ontario
you essentially sound like you know a new one is coming in June, why wouldnt you wait? If you made this thread to find out when the new one is coming, nobody knows any more than you
 

Mizzou02RS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
83
0
Well, I appreciate the input. I suppose I can wait to see if the new ones will meet my needs. Nothing wrong with waiting a bit longer.
 

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
2,985
3
If all someone does is browse the web, type up some documents, and play around in iPhoto there really is no point in waiting. A newer machine is not going to provide much of a noticeable bump for those types of tasks. In fact....OP would probably be better served saving some $$ and getting something from the refurb store.
No. If one's "gut" (sources, info, etc.) says there's a new model coming out in weeks then one waits.

It's really that simple.
 

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
2,574
35
For you, I would say it doesn't matter. The small performance boost, as well as the few "extra" features (possible retina, USB 3.0, etc.) aren't worth the wait, especially for your use. So honestly it's totally up to you, my opinion being that you'll be happy regardless of your choice, but if I -HAD- to give you a choice I'd say just get it now.
Every piece of equipment loses resale value when a new one is introduced. A Mac bought today isn't work a penny more than one bought at the last refresh.

You buy a $1500 MBP in June, you can resell it if necessary for $1300 or so. You buy a $1500 MBP today and in June it's worth $1000.

(I'm not using hard and fast numbers, but my point is that a Mac bought today is instantly worth a couple of hundred less than one bought for the same price a couple of weeks from now.)

If you must buy one today, buy a refurb and at least save some money going in - you can get the current models for 15% off.

A computer isn't just a tool, it's also a financial investment.
 

ivanpk

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
113
0
A computer isn't just a tool, it's also a financial investment.
So a new car is similar? As soon as you drive it off the lot you lose lots of resale value. As soon as you use a computer it becomes used and loses a lot of resale value. In 4 years however, the car will still get a good resale value. Meanwhile, my 2008 MacBook I bought for 1100 probably will get around 400 bucks. If I sold a 2008 car (both computer and car are in prestine used condition) would I be only getting close to 1/3 of what I paid for it?

Sorry if these sound weird but the point I'm trying to make is that I don't buy a computer for the investment and money I can generate from it in a few years, I buy it for my means now. If I can get any of my money back later when I sell it, then great!
 

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
152
15
I don't mean to thread hijack but this just occurred to me and it seemed like a waste to make a new topic to ask, but assuming the new MBPs get announced at WWDC, how long after that can we expect to wait until they are in stores? Another three weeks after WWDC? Typically I've noticed it's about 3 weeks after announcement for iOS devices, is it the same for Macs?

Also, the first response to this topic is spot on.
 

ivanpk

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
113
0
I don't mean to thread hijack but this just occurred to me and it seemed like a waste to make a new topic to ask, but assuming the new MBPs get announced at WWDC, how long after that can we expect to wait until they are in stores? Another three weeks after WWDC? Typically I've noticed it's about 3 weeks after announcement for iOS devices, is it the same for Macs?

Also, the first response to this topic is spot on.
Probably would be available that day online and in stores next day or two
 

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
2,708
1,345
No. If one's "gut" (sources, info, etc.) says there's a new model coming out in weeks then one waits.

It's really that simple.
If one needs one now then one would be somewhat foolish to sit around for a few weeks waiting on one that is not going to offer one much benefit.

One.
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.