Buy 13" MBP Now or Wait Until June?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mizzou02RS, May 23, 2012.

1. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

Hi there...

I have been looking at the MBP line and like the 13" model to replace my older MacBook. The thing is, I am reading that Apple is going to upgrade the MBP line within a month or so. My main uses for my laptop are web surfing, writing, iPhoto, iTunes and the occasional use of Photoshop. Do you think I should wait until June to see the new MBP models or pop on a current model now?

Thanks!

2. nars1l macrumors newbie

The "2012 Macbook Pro Redesign" thread has alot of good info on this, though it's become a bit pedantic as of late.

I think the general consensus around here will come to this:

For what you said you want a computer for, the current Macbook Pro will serve you just fine. It's a design that has been out for years, thus all the bugs and manufacturing glitches have been ironed out by now, and you won't be disappointed with it.

However, there are many signs that point to a new redesign of the Macbook Pro coming out in a few weeks. Apple usually has its **** together for launches, so there won't be any glaring problems with the new model, and it is most likely to be thinner, slightly more powerful (which won't actually make a difference to you based on your uses), and it will have that shiny new feeling that all your friends will be jealous about.

Personally, I've been waiting for the next Macbook Pro for quite a few months now. The current models are not quite powerful enough for my uses (I want a 13" that can do light gaming, which is an area in which the new MBP will show substantial improvement over current models) and I want a thinner form factor.

So, in short, either would do you fine. I'd personally wait, but that's because I like having the newest thing. You should spend a half hour or so getting acquainted with the current Macbook Pro via Apple's website, or at your local electronics store, and then spend a half an hour reading through the rumors posted recently on the front page of MacRumors on 5/14, which basically summarize the changes that we can expect to see in the next model.

3. Mojo1, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I'm waiting and from what you have written you should consider doing the same.

If the new models don't float your cork you can snag a previous-generation MBP at a savings. Most of my Macs have been previous-generation; I've saved up to 50%. The best deals are at college bookstores that purchase a quantity of discontinued Macs.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

If you think a new model is coming out in a few weeks, why in god's name would you buy a soon-to-be older model now?

I really don't understand these threads.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Oh, yes buy one now. It's always fun buying aging, expensive tech a week before it's completely outdated. Its just fun. I do it all the time. But I wait until launch day and just get in under the wire. You need to be quick as the Apple store will go offline after the presentation, so you need to buy one before that. I've gotten great results this way.

YMMV

6. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

For you, I would say it doesn't matter. The small performance boost, as well as the few "extra" features (possible retina, USB 3.0, etc.) aren't worth the wait, especially for your use. So honestly it's totally up to you, my opinion being that you'll be happy regardless of your choice, but if I -HAD- to give you a choice I'd say just get it now.

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

If you need to think that means you CAN WAIT! SO WAIT! :)

8. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

You really should wait; The new MBP will probably be announced on June 11, which is less than 3 weeks from now. Remeber: It will probably will be lighter, stronger and better - so wait.

9. Donka macrumors 68020

If you need to purchase one now then buy one and don't sweat it. If you can hold off a month then it makes sense to hold off and see what the new one brings and of course you will likely have the opportunity to pick up a current one @ discount if you hold off.

10. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

For resale value alone, it's better to wait.

11. Mirswith macrumors newbie

I just pulled the trigger on a 17" MBP (out for delivery now!!), and am completely satisfied with my choice of buying now. That being said...it's all your choice. Do you need the extra performance? Do you have that "need" for the latest and greatest? You'll be happy either way....

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you need one now, then get it, but in about 3 weeks apple should be unveiling their new MBP models at their World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC)

I recommend waiting if at all possible. While your usage indicates the current line would fulfill your needs, why spend over a thousand dollars on technology that is about to get replaced.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Never mind the fact that the 2011 model will be a lot cheaper as a refurb when the new models come out, if you still want a 2011 model.

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If all someone does is browse the web, type up some documents, and play around in iPhoto there really is no point in waiting. A newer machine is not going to provide much of a noticeable bump for those types of tasks. In fact....OP would probably be better served saving some $$ and getting something from the refurb store.

15. Donka macrumors 68020

But if you are buying new and the updated machine will retail at the same price then it is surely worth holding off and getting what will essentially be a free upgrade of specs regardless of what it is capable of...

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you essentially sound like you know a new one is coming in June, why wouldnt you wait? If you made this thread to find out when the new one is coming, nobody knows any more than you

17. salmoally macrumors regular

It's like someone has to ask this question daily or the world will implode...

18. Mizzou02RS thread starter macrumors member

Well, I appreciate the input. I suppose I can wait to see if the new ones will meet my needs. Nothing wrong with waiting a bit longer.

19. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No. If one's "gut" (sources, info, etc.) says there's a new model coming out in weeks then one waits.

It's really that simple.

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Every piece of equipment loses resale value when a new one is introduced. A Mac bought today isn't work a penny more than one bought at the last refresh.

You buy a $1500 MBP in June, you can resell it if necessary for $1300 or so. You buy a $1500 MBP today and in June it's worth $1000.

(I'm not using hard and fast numbers, but my point is that a Mac bought today is instantly worth a couple of hundred less than one bought for the same price a couple of weeks from now.)

If you must buy one today, buy a refurb and at least save some money going in - you can get the current models for 15% off.

A computer isn't just a tool, it's also a financial investment.

21. ivanpk macrumors regular

So a new car is similar? As soon as you drive it off the lot you lose lots of resale value. As soon as you use a computer it becomes used and loses a lot of resale value. In 4 years however, the car will still get a good resale value. Meanwhile, my 2008 MacBook I bought for 1100 probably will get around 400 bucks. If I sold a 2008 car (both computer and car are in prestine used condition) would I be only getting close to 1/3 of what I paid for it?

Sorry if these sound weird but the point I'm trying to make is that I don't buy a computer for the investment and money I can generate from it in a few years, I buy it for my means now. If I can get any of my money back later when I sell it, then great!

22. guspasho macrumors regular

I don't mean to thread hijack but this just occurred to me and it seemed like a waste to make a new topic to ask, but assuming the new MBPs get announced at WWDC, how long after that can we expect to wait until they are in stores? Another three weeks after WWDC? Typically I've noticed it's about 3 weeks after announcement for iOS devices, is it the same for Macs?

Also, the first response to this topic is spot on.

23. ivanpk macrumors regular

Probably would be available that day online and in stores next day or two

24. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If one needs one now then one would be somewhat foolish to sit around for a few weeks waiting on one that is not going to offer one much benefit.

One.