Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which computer should I get?

• Total voters

Furix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Hello,

I'm in need of some guidance. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I need a dedicated video card or not; and if not, if there is any drastic difference in the 13" and 15", apart from screen real estate, for my needs.

I need a computer that can drive a 27" Eizo or NEC display, possibly two in the future. I'm typically shooting with Hasselblad digital backs, tethered, and my working files typically exceed 1GB. I don't really care for screen real estate, though during location work it could be nice (not needed). I also sometimes do Maya modelling work, but can render or a bigger rig.

Typically only use Capture One/Phocus and Photoshop.

I'd wait for WWDC, but my 2009 Macbook Pro has seen its last day, and I don't think I can afford to be without a computer for an entire month.

P.S. Money is an object. Most of the listed resources are rented and borrowed while I build my portfolio.

Thanks,

J

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The 13 inch machines are dual core only, for your use you really could do with the the quad core i7 found in the 15 inch that pretty much decides it for me, you might get some use out of a dGPU but I doubt it will be essential.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the 15" MBP because of the increased screen size, better iGPU (And you can get the dGPU).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If "money is an object", get the 13" MacBook.

Also, use the money you saved to buy a quality external display...

smelly cat

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I have always been hesitant to recommend ponying up extra cash to purchase MacBook Pros with dedicated graphics. Historically, dedicated graphics have sometimes produced long-term reliability problems as well as thermal throttling in Apple notebooks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have always been hesitant to recommend ponying up extra cash to purchase MacBook Pros
Agreed, however, the 15" iGPU is more powerful then the 13"model and as noted, the 15" MBP is a quad core machine that has 16GB out of the box

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.